Ways to further diving certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbouch

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a brand stinking new diver with literally 10 dives logged and maybe 5 unlogged (forgot my dive log on vacation). I'm sort of stuck in limbo between undergrad and graduate school for a whole year right now and wanted to further my dive training while I wait because I fell in love with it. I'm also hoping to do my research on estuarine environments/marine conservation so I'm thinking having a DM certification can't hurt. Especially if my plan is to become a beach bum... I mean a serious scientist.

I was looking online for diving centers and saw that PADI has those GoPro Divemaster Internship that they claim they'll train you to go from open water to divemaster in 3 months. I wanted to know some of the more experienced divers thoughts on these kinds of programs. I mostly wanted a cheap way to dive while I wait for my application decisions so if anyone has any thoughts on different routes I'm all ears! I've been focused on school and work my whole life and now I just want to pursue this new interest and visit cool places!

I understand the basics of getting to a PADI DM Certification (ie. number of dives, levels of certification you have to go through first, etc.). I'm a research-aholic. I'm also very comfortable in the water I was a swimmer for my whole life and have mostly done free diving before I got certified. I don't really know anybody who dives so I would be doing this alone and hopefully meeting other people with my interests!

I appreciate any and all advice and cool stories! Thanks!

I don't know how forums are supposed to work with editing but thank you so much for all the advice! I guess DM isn't my style right now for diving! But I like all the suggestions. If anyone has more I'd love to hear them!

Last edited:
Ok... get ready!

1. PADI doesn't "have those GoPro internships" but rather dive-training mills - I mean some "PADI 5 Star IDC resorts" - offer them as a way to bring in unpaid labor
  2. A DM cert will not help you a whit with your desired course of study. A DM's role is to supervise divers and assist instructors in teaching PADI courses. Full stop. In a DM course that is what you will learn. Oh, and three knots you'll never use unless you move on to a PADI instructor course, where you'll learn how to teach those three knots to other people who will never use them.
  3. Just go diving. At this point in your progression it'll be more fun than a DM course... and probably more valuable.

The question of how to become a better diver or what course to take next after the basic Open Water certification comes up frequently. Here are just a few I found with a quick Google search:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/54296-after-ow-cert-what-course-next.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ing/365510-what-do-after-open-water-padi.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/213802-what-course-do-next.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/482153-advanced-training-questions.html

The most common answer seems to be what RJP listed as No. 3: "Just go diving." There is no better teacher than experience. Sure, by all means consider Advanced Open Water and even the Rescue course. But take it one step at a time. Do some diving, take a course, then do some more diving, take another course, etc.--that's how you become a better diver.

cheapest way for you to dive would probably be lake travis. dm won't do much if you dive for grad school because you will have to do an aaus course probably.

look for a local dive club to find some people to dive with

You can log a dive anytime you want. Nothing illegal about going to your logbook and entering the basic information about the dives. Length, depth, location, stuff you saw. So you can log the vacation dives tonight if you wanted.

Depending on your skills I personally like Nav and Buoyancy soon after OW. Then AOW and deep just because they are sometimes requested.

If you are going to do the certs then max the dives. I did AOW but did not count it as part of any others. The more experience the better. The goal is experience and not cards.

Yes, DM is something you would do if you want to assist with courses or lead certified divers--in otherwords an "education" thing. You do have to polish the "20 skills" to demonstration quality, but that's the only other advantage to DM. I can't see it being of any help with other careers--ocean science, etc. RJP is correct about the 3 knots. After 5 years I still practise them once daily because I'm supposed to know them. Man nobody can beat me in doing those knots.....

If you want to dive…a lot. A whole lot… Here are a few brainstorming ideas...

1.) The M/V Fling live-aboard operates out of Freeport, TX. You wouldn't even be out airfare or a hotel or car rental.

2.) I enjoyed diving with Rainbow Reef Dive Center out of Key Largo, Fl (trip report). 4 Dives/day.

3.) Do a Blackbeard's Live-aboard out of the Bahamas. Airfare might not be too bad. If your ears could handle it, 2 back-to-back?

4.) I hear of backpacker trips to Utila staying at a hostel? Not familiar with it.

5.) Spend 2 or 3 weeks in Bonaire (so the average airfare cost is spread out) & stay at Dive Hut. Had to do some deep digging on the forum to turn up my trip report from 2012.

I'm not saying these are your only options, just that for someone trying to get a lot of diving in about as cheap as it's likely to get, these are some of the options. And if you've got courses you'd like to do (e.g.: AOW, Nitrox), you could do them at some of these places.

Richard.

I agree with everything that everyone has said. Personally I wouldn't rush into doing a DM unless you want to help out with classes - go out and dive instead. I noticed you in Austin, so a few things I'd recommend.

1) Both Scubaland and Toms have dive clubs (Dive World probably does as well) which often put on events. Scubaland just had their Spring Fling last Sunday. These give great opportunities to meet other divers. Scubaland's Dive Club's Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/scubalanddiveclub/ .

2) Check out Lake Travis Scuba (laketravisscuba.com). Robert (the owner) runs a couple charters a day on Lake Travis. He makes sure to schedule divemasters on the charters so there is always a divemaster on board to act as a guide (no extra charge, but don't forget to tip your DM - they work for tips).

3) Check out the Lake Travis Divers group on Facebook for buddies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom