second stage bungee necklace...slip knots vs ziptied off?

Bungee necklace...ZIP TIE or Slip knots

• Zip Tie

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Slip knots

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • other

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoyoguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know there are some threads covering this but I am trying to come to a consensus on which method most people use or which is safer to use. I have read some threads where using the slip knot method on the bungee necklace is preferred for side mount divers (I am not exactly sure why and I myself do not dive side mounts). Anyways these are the pros and cons of each I have read about...please feel free to comment as well as vote.

Method 1 ZIP TIES - zip tying the bungee onthe mouthpiece itself (in place of the current tie that secures the mouthpiece to the reg) OR just behind the original tie that secures the mouth piece itself which is what I think I would do as I heard it helps prevent pulling the mouth piece off in the event something pulls hard on the regulator hose.

PROS: The second stage is very secure and likely to never fall off by accident.
CONS: I am not sure why you might have to remove the necklace from the second stage reg during a dive but if you did, it would be extremely difficult. Maybe this could be considered somewhat dangerous...not sure how but maybe a scenario where your backup reg hose got caught on something the necklace could tug extremely hard against your neck whereas with the slip knot method, the reg would simply slip free. Again this is unlikely but I guess I could picture it happening.

Method 2: Slip knot method. The necklace is fashioned in such a way that it makes an opening which the regulator mouth piece slides through then you simply pull this opening tight on the mouth piece. Hopefully I explained this right.

PROS: If for whatever reason you got tangled then reg would come free with out hurting your neck? If you were diving with some divers you didn't really know who maybe did not understand the DIR style set-up, saw your backup reg and grabbed it thinking that that was the reg they should use in an OOA situation...it would simply come free. Again, id think most of us would discuss our set-ups prior to dives BUT I have been on several recreational dives where people had many different set-ups and no one really paid attention when people talked about them.

CONS: The regulator can come out of the bungee necklace pretty easily. I could picture a scenario where you may have not noticed your backup reg came out of the necklace and then god forbid a situation happens where you need it for whatever reason, you then go to switch to it and it is NOT there...now you are hoping your training takes over and you remember to either grab for the hose behind your head or dip your shoulder and sweep to find the reg.

Zip tie for me.

Under no circumstances do I want that backup reg popping loose from the necklace.

Yup....mine is ZipTied. That reg is MINE. If you take it, I'll hurt you.

I'm probably going to go the "slip knots" way for my wife's regs....but that's a weird situation. Her main regs are my stage regs, so I need some way of switching them over easily.

I started with mine slipknotted, and had the occy fall from the necklace during a dive. Now ziptied. :)

Dave

Double Fisherman's Knot with the reg mouthpiece cinched tight between the two drawn-in knots every time you d'on the bungee'd backup 2nd Stage Reg around your neck:

Double Fishermans Knot - How to tie a Double Fisherman's

Doesn't loosen as easily as a simple "slip-knot", or a single overhand loop type fisherman's knot.

Zip-tie method securing the figure-eight stopper knots of a snug bungee shock cord loop necklace is the quickest & easiest solution in a "save-a-dive" repair kit.

Fisherman knot. Cannot ever recall having it come loose. I like that a good tug will release the second stage for use. YRMV. No way on the zip tie would I use that cludge. N

The regulator can come out of the bungee necklace pretty easily.

You're either tying your knots wrong, or simply never used this method.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Could I get the reg out of those knots - yes. Would I have to work really hard to do so without first deliberately backing them off each side - yes.

OP, you're overthinking this big time imo.

Do with what you have lying nearby...

I am just amused to note that this was posted in "Basic Scuba Discussions"!

why? isn't this something that should be discussed in a basic class? We certainly do since all of our students use this regulator setup when they first learn....

fisherman knots for me, never liked the zip ties, not sure why, but it may just be the way I learned. I also move regs around pretty regularly so it saves having to replace zip ties all the time. I carry my suicide strap with me, so I think that even if you zip tie them in, you should have a tied one in the save a dive kit. I also rather like the Manta silicone ones for sidemount diving, but it is certainly much less secure than the tied ones, and obviously neither are as secure as one zip tied in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom