DIR pressure, depth and compass gauge setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigeclipse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All I'm transitioning to a DIR style of diving for recreational diving and will hopefully transition to tech diving in a few years. From what I read you want you pressure gauge to be a 2 inch brass/glass gauge which is clipped off to left hip D ring. Now here is my question...I have always dove with the entire. On sole setup AND. A dive computer. I know most tech divers and DIR people tend to use depth timers etc instead. Until I go that route what should I do in the interim? I was told to wear my computer on right wrist along with my depth gauge? Then my compass could be clipped off elsewhere? Any advice would be appreciated.

If you have a computer, why would you want a depth gauge too? Computer goes on the right wrist, compass on the left, and "brass and glass" SPG is clipped off the the left waist D-ring

in a true DIR sense, Ron is correct. Compass on left, bottom timer on right *can be substituted for a computer in gauge mode*, and SPG clipped to left hip.

For now, you can obviously leave your computer in computer mode if you want to, you don't have to have a wrist compass, I actually hate them for any real navigation, and if you don't want to break your console up, you don't have to. Can either clip to the right shoulder across your chest, or get a shorter hose and keep it on your left hip. That said, navigating with console compasses is basically impossible, and there is no need to carry a redundant depth gauge at this point in your diving *on square type profiles with an actual bottom *i.e. not bluewater* there is little point in carrying a redundant computer/bottom timer until you are doing decompression. At that point a DSMB with knotted line, and a wrist watch can suffice, though not sure what the GUE philosophy on that is, but that is a long way out for you.

below is the way I navigate, it's a nav board with a cheap map compass superglued onto it, but it is much more accurate than any wrist or console compass can get, is easier to use than both, and you can draw a map, list your waypoints, etc etc on the board. I usually leave mine clipped to my right hip if I'm planning on using it, otherwise it lives in my right hip pocket
[video=youtube;x0z4T_3KjFM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0z4T_3KjFM[/video]

All I'm transitioning to a DIR style of diving for recreational diving and will hopefully transition to tech diving in a few years. From what I read you want you pressure gauge to be a 2 inch brass/glass gauge which is clipped off to left hip D ring. Now here is my question...I have always dove with the entire. On sole setup AND. A dive computer. I know most tech divers and DIR people tend to use depth timers etc instead. Until I go that route what should I do in the interim? I was told to wear my computer on right wrist along with my depth gauge? Then my compass could be clipped off elsewhere? Any advice would be appreciated.

If I understand correctly, you have a console that has an SPG/depth gauge/compass and separately, you have a computer. Is that correct?

I've only played with a few such consoles in the past. All of them could be taken apart where you could use the SPG by itself. If the same is true for your console, with a hose of appropriate length, you could use the SPG and stow it clipped to your left hip d-ring. Assuming your computer is more or less just like other computers, you will not need the depth gauge. Just use your computer as your bottom timer/depth gauge. Put it on your right forearm.

If the compass in your console can be put in an appropriate case, you should be able to continue to use it on your left forearm. Most of the compasses I have seen in consoles can also be purchased as a wrist mount. Check to see with the dive shop that carries your brand of compass to see if they have a wrist mount for you. Alternatively, deepseasupply.com carries aftermarket cases for some of the brands of compasses.

P.S. I personally am not a huge fan of learning how to dive over the internet. Take fundies sooner rather than later. It'll be the best money you spend on diving. The answers you get in the internet can sometimes be, well, suspect.

---------- Post added June 13th, 2015 at 01:56 PM ----------

For now, you can obviously leave your computer in computer mode if you want to, you don't have to have a wrist compass, I actually hate them for any real navigation, and if you don't want to break your console up, you don't have to. Can either clip to the right shoulder across your chest, or get a shorter hose and keep it on your left hip. That said, navigating with console compasses is basically impossible, and there is no need to carry a redundant depth gauge at this point in your diving *on square type profiles with an actual bottom *i.e. not bluewater* there is little point in carrying a redundant computer/bottom timer until you are doing decompression. At that point a DSMB with knotted line, and a wrist watch can suffice, though not sure what the GUE philosophy on that is, but that is a long way out for you.

tbone,

I am not sure I am clear on what your are suggesting.

I am not aware of a DIR (or GUE) configuration wherein a diver clips a console across their chest (left to right) onto the right d-ring. I haven't tried that but it seems like a good way to trap the long hose.

Regarding your compass/navigation technique, I can appreciate that there are different ways to skin a cat but what your are suggesting is far from what GUE teaches, at least in their entry level classes. If the dive requires a compass, the last thing we would want the OP to do is to get into the water with a set up where they could lose the compass (compass peeling off as it is not mechanically secured, the zip tie breaking off of the bolt snap, etc).

And then there is this business with knots and the dsmb line. It portrays a more complicated approach than what is actually used in ocean dives by GUE divers.

To me, if someone asks for the DIR answer, it seems we should do our best to give the DIR answer, no?

Last edited:
GUE isn't really a big fan of consoles. Do what you need to do financially, but bare SPG on left hip, compass on left wrist and computer on right wrist is what you want to get to. And get training. A fundies/primer instructor will help you a lot with your gear, as well as all the skills.

Depending on where you're at in NY(I'm assuming the city) you might want to consider a visit to the Scuba Shack, just south of Hartford, and Ed Hayes' Advanced Buoyancy classes. He's a GUE instructor and a good guy. His buoyancy classes are a good, no stress way of easing into the GUE way of doing things.

From a strictly DIR standpoint, just do it right. If you are going to dive DIR, there is no half way. That being said there are those that abide by the "just do what works" philosophy. If you are ok with not being a cookie cutter diver right away I don't see anything wrong with that. I seem to recall a video of Chatterton penetrating the U-Who and he had a console gauge set.
I guess what I'm saying is, that while you are transitioning to a DIR setup, there is nothing wrong with using what you have to the best of your ability while you are slowly acquiring the standard "DIR" equipment.

he said DIR style outside of the DIR forum, I did try to address that in the first sentence and present some alternatives to him that while not DIR, would allow him to use his current setup.

Weird. I wonder how my buddies and I managed to navigate from one wreck to another in blue water with a current at 140-150' on scooters with our DIR wrist mounted compasses...

OP, come hang out with us over in the DIR forum. There are guys and gals with *actual* GUE/DIR training that can help you get started in the right direction.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/

never said you can't, just said it was more accurate. The compass itself is more accurate, the divers half the battle but you can only be as accurate as your equipment. Good enough to hit a wreck on a DPV fine, but is much more difficult to use when you're diving in touch contact with no vis trying to hit something small... Either way, he mentioned DIR style and I was merely proposing alternatives that I feel are better, mainly on the compass. That said, very few ever have a need to do anything accurate enough to justify it, but instead of paying $50+ for a wrist compass, you can make that for under $20. I believe I said enough in the first post to indicate that what I was saying might not be within the DIR realm but was merely my preference. I could go and pass fundies this weekend if I wanted to, my skills are good enough, but it wouldn't change my opinions on the things I disagree with, compasses included.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom