Dive Computer Recommendations....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bruce Herold

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to purchase my first dive computer. Basic and simple to use is most desirable and automatically comes on at the start of a dive. Main interests is current bottom time, NDL's, max depth, current depth, surface interval time, memory for capturing past dive history. Something small and compact for my wrist or maybe mountable to a console would work I think. Any suggestions or recommendations on makes and models with approx. price?

Bruce Herold

You'll get lots of recommendations for a petrel here (I have one it's great), but based on your description, take a look at a Geo 2.0 (which is my backup when needed) and is pretty good.

Geo 2.0 if you want a watch style form factor, $400 ish though you can find them used or on ebay cheaper I believe. Zeagle N2ition at dive gear express is only $180 and if you can get over not having a manual is a great option for the price.

The Suunto Vyper (my beloved/hated) computer does all that you want. With air. With nitrox. In gauge mode.
Yes, the Petrel is superior at tripple the cost.

However... I have done trimix dives to 60m/180ft (in gauge mode) and cave dives with the Vyper. Some people only use an Uwatec bottom timer for these dives. If you have the cash, then the Petrel (& similar) may be of interest. Intermediate models (e.g. several gasses) are also available.

I would say keep the cost low, get something that does air, recreation nitrox and gauge. Petrel is a very good option if you have $750 to spend. If budget is tight, then Zeagle N2ition is hard to look pass

Hoseless:

$180: current liquidation sale on zeagle n2ition with a feature set of a ~$400 MSRP DC. I don't think you can get a DC-to-PC download kit for that. (You'd want to save your past dive history e.g. before replacing the battery as that tends to reset the memory. Of course you can use pen and paper for that.)

~$200: going price for "basic recreational" cressi leonardo, suunto zoop and similar. Add another $100 for DC-to-PC kit. Algorithm depth to 40m, nitrox to 50%, zoop doesn't even have gauge mode. It will do all you asked for though display may not be entirely to your liking dep. on the make and model.

~$400: "lite tek" aka "rec+" DC like cressi giotto or oceanic geo 2. As above plus algorithm depth to 100m or so, three-gas and 100% oxygen. Can be had for ~$200 on a liquidation sale like the n2ition above or aeris manta a while back. PS: there's aeris a300 for $199 on spamazon, looks like an older model of geo 2 by another name -- but I didn't look too close so ICBW.

~$600+: petrel2, ostc sport. As above, with big customizable colour screen and bluetooth. Usually digital compass, too.

~1,000+: as above plus wireless air pressure sensor. E.g. oceanic vtx.

Hosed :wink: (hoseful?) -- no idea.

Last edited:
Pretty much any dive computer (other than a simple bottom timer) will do what you describe. The Suunto Zoop is a good computer for not a lot of money.

You may want to think about where your diving will take you - buy a computer for the diving you will be doing in a couple of years. Most computers will handle nitrox, but if you ever want to do accelerated deco, bear in mind basic computers tend to be limited to EANx40 and so not allow gas switching. Gauge mode is useful; if you decide in future to use an all singing, all dancing trimix or CCR computer, or dive to a plan, you can use it as a bottom timer.

I bought a Suunto Vyper Air first. I now have a Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC 2n, but the Suunto still comes along as a backup bottom timer.

Wrist vs. Console - I prefer wrist. All you need on your HP hose is a contents gauge. Consoles look cumbersome, but some like them. If you go wrist mounted, a bungee mount is a good idea. If one of the pins fails on the strap, you stand a good chance of losing it. I see people with wrist lanyards as a secondary attachment, but they look untidy and could snag. A bungee mount has two points of attachment, so it is more secure.

I use the Mares Puck Pro.
wrist mounted, single button. you can't screw it up!
it starts automatically, has backlight and audible alarms (you can turn all that off if you want) as well as AIR and 2 other gas setting.
you can also set the algorithm to be more restrictive if you want.
I paid around $200 for it.

Back
Top Bottom