Non professional divers taking very young children diving (even in a pool)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Had a guy come into the dive shop today wanting to get his 40 yr old regulator serviced (had not been serviced in over a decade) & was of a long obsolete brand (don't remember what it was). After being told that we would not be able to service it, he looked around for a "cheap" regulator set & let it slip that he wanted to take his 8, 7 & 5 yr old grandkids diving in the family pool. Of course we suggested to him that his plan was not a good one & he shot back, "once I leave here you can't control what I do". True enough,.. we can't. We went over the potential risks, to which he would reply, " I was certified a long time ago & I'm an experienced diver". When asked how much/ often he dove, he replied that he dove once or twice a year in his pool, but had not been open water diving in over a decade. Then asked to rent a tank so that he could try to get his non functioning regulator working again. At this point knowing his intentions, we refused. Kind of a gray area, since he was a certified diver, but with knowing what he wanted to do,... it was decided that we could not risk the liability. Now, to the point,.... What are people's thoughts on situations like this? Why do these people think they have enough knowledge/ skills to teach others to dive, when they likely barely can dive themselves- I refer back to the Eagle's Nest fatalities that happened 2 yrs ago (an OW father & an uncertified son). Why are these people so willing to risk the safety of their loved ones? Although rare it is possible for someone to have a lung overexpansion injury, from holding the breath & ascending quickly in just a few feet of water. Unfortunately, this can be a very delicate subject to discuss with some people. Some you can get through to, some you can not.

Spoil Sport!
Don't you know that you have made a poor choice in not getting that $15 dollar tank rental.

Business must be just totally AWESOME up there, to pass on this particular customer.

Chug
[[SHIVERS]]

Why are these people so willing to risk the safety of their loved ones?

As Justin Kruger and David Dunning said it: "Unskilled and unaware of it". Also known as the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Last edited:
One hopes that Mr blusterking grandpa will eventually hear what you told him and then put aside his ego for the lives of his grandchildren.

Prolly a bad idea for Granpa in the ceeement pond, at least according to PADI. As to your refusal to rent? PADI's insurance company will now not be involved.

Win-win. You did precisely the correct thing.

But...Much ado about not a whole lot? Kind of like drinking out of garden hoses or riding that bike without a helmet, you would be very surprised at how many of us Generation A thru T divers first tried SCUBA in this way... and lived.

Additional snarky comments:

I haven't service my "pool gear" in 40 years either. Occasionally I have to whack it on the concrete. The one I use for this horrific practice hasn't been serviced since 1979.

...As Justin Kruger and David Dunning said it...

The corollary of the DK-Effect is much more on point, but I appreciate the reading and re-tweet.

Last edited:
My grandfather taught me how to dive when I was 7. He was however a very experienced diver and was more thorough than any instructor that I have ever met...it took him 4 months of lessons before he put me in the ocean. It's All relative. This clown however should know better....never dives, his **** don't work and he wants to drown his grandkids with it. Natural selection I guess, but that poor kid doesn't deserve to die along with his idiot grandpa.

The one I use for this horrific practice hasn't been serviced since 1979.
[\QUOTE]

Hey, man, if you want to take your own risks, that's your thing. I got no beef with that. Would you put your own 5, 7 & 8 yr old children or grandchildren at risk using such inoperable equipment as we were presented with? Or without professional training, attempt to teach them scuba? Honestly, I think for most children under 16 yrs old is too young (& 16 may b borderline for some, even there). The ages of this guys grand kids are below the minimum ages. A 5yr old????

Again, I'm not really arguing with you. Just playing the Advocus Diaboli.

My, how your questions and perceptions have changed over the last eight years. Honestly though, what else is there in Kentucky besides CCR/Cave... other than a ceement pond? Same problem here in Chicago, only no cave kool aid. You came in after the garden-hose water source thingie.

You would have been absolutely horrified by any LDS in 1980 or before the internet era. Cave men doing, in retrospect, really dumb stuff. A few lived to breed.

What you mean kids can't dive a 7 liter tank anymore then float up once it's done?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Reactions: Doc
What you mean kids can't dive a 7 liter tank anymore then float up once it's done...

i see what you did there :wink:

(took me a liters:CF app, but I got it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom