Advanced Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwat34

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
Is AOW actually worth taking? Aside from the skills will it make you more confident in the water?
Thanks

Once you do that first deep dive (as part of your 5 specialty dives) and realize you can perform at that depth - you get a massive boost in confidence. The same goes for the navigation portion of the course - although not the end all be all for nav it gives you some sense that you would at least be able to find the shore in a worst case scenario.

These 2x things alone make a huge difference to most divers to help them relax, improves their air consumption and enjoyment. I highly recommend it.

It depends on who you take the class from. If you search for your answer in the forums you will likely see that the consensus is generally that the instructor is what makes the course good or worthless. Since you are in PA, there are a few instructors up there that will give you a class that is well worth your money. I'm sure they will chime in here shortly.

That's what I was thinking about. I have seen some forums where they have said that some of the skills you can learn without the class, but to me learning it from someone else and gaining the confidence is more important than the skills.

Thanks. I was actually planning on taking the course while on vacation in Mexico.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

That's what I was thinking about. I have seen some forums where they have said that some of the skills you can learn without the class, but to me learning it from someone else and gaining the confidence is more important than the skills.

Thanks. I was actually planning on taking the course while on vacation in Mexico.

Seems like most vacation AOW courses are of the "check the box" variety, so it's even more important to ensure you've looked into who the instructor is and and make sure they know what YOU'RE hoping to get out of the class.

My 5 dives were Peak Performance Buoyancy, Wreck, Deep, Underwater Navigation and Night Dive. Even though AOW is just a sampling, I felt my confidence and skills improve, while getting a taste for some new things (night diving=Yeah!). The old saying "you don't know what you don't know" starts to get addressed through one-on-one guidance and information that, during regular dives, a DM may pass on, but usually not. As far as skill improvement, I got the most out of buoyancy and navigation. I did AOW before I even hit 25 dives and wish there was an OW3, as it were. I don't feel ready for Rescue. I guess I can do the speciality courses for that, though. The Adventures in Diving book is a good reference to have too.

Yes, find a good instructor. Where we went, the AOW was barely more than the cost of 5 dives, so I felt it was tons of value. It was also really nice to have a different focus for each dive, other than my usual - where are the cool fish?

Those are the dives I was interested in doing. Where I am going is the same deal if you buy a dive package you are able to get the AOW for just the price of materials and ccard.

Would anyone have suggestions for what to do as the five required dives.

Hi,
Is AOW actually worth taking? Aside from the skills will it make you more confident in the water?
Thanks

If there are things that are inhibiting your confidence and your instructor is able to address those things adequately, yes.

Realistically, in most cases it's 5 dives but those dives can really make a difference. I recently had a student who came in with a couple of concerns (buoyancy control and diving deep). We spent time talking (as we always do) to "peal off the layers" of what it was that was getting in the way of his confidence and when we did the dives I focused directly on the core issues and helped him get in control of his diving. He came away from the course, in his words, feeling like I had turned him into a "real diver".

A lot of it is going to depend on connecting up with an instructor who cares about you taking a step forward and has the skills to zoom in on what YOU need to get out of the course. Another big part of it is going to depend on your ability to bring to words what you need. If you get that combination, the course can be golden.

R..

Once you do that first deep dive (as part of your 5 specialty dives) and realize you can perform at that depth - you get a massive boost in confidence.

... that is not necessarily a good thing ...

One of my biggest issues with taking AOW too soon after OW is the deep dive. Most divers haven't yet developed their basic skills to the point where they should go deep, regardless of how much supervision they have, precisely because of what you just said. It gives them the impression that they're somehow qualified to be there, and in many cases they're not ... not even after they've completed this dive for the AOW class. But they're then given a card that tells them they are. And because doing deeper dives is probably the most popular reason why people sign up for AOW, it sets the stage for some significant failures that sometimes end in tragedy.

Here's the set-up ... most new divers tend to use their air rather quickly. There are any number of reasons for this ... both physical and mental ... but the fact remains that most new divers have far higher air consumption rates than they will have once they've gotten 20 to 50 dives behind them. Now factor in that the deeper you go the more quickly you'll drain your tank due to pressure increases. Add to that the anxiety induced by narcosis, task-loading that can be caused by deeper diving (depending on conditions, this could be due to limited visibility) and what that does to exacerbate your consumption rate. And then factor in that most new divers don't own their own tanks, and are using rental tanks ... almost always AL80's (aka "oversized beer cans") ... and you're setting the stage for an OOA or LOA event ... particularly because most AOW students don't receive any air management techniques other than "keep an eye on your gauge and end the dive with 500 psi" without much training on how to actually do that.

Yes, the majority will manage to continue doing deeper dives without incident ... and that's a testament to how "failsafe" basic diving actually is. But we all too often read about people running out of air ... or more frequently low on air ... at depth. Deeper dives only exacerbate the problem, and getting "a massive boost in confidence" often serves to give people the impression that they're more qualified to manage a deep dive than they actually turn out to be.

I think if people are going to be encouraged to take AOW straight from OW, then they should drop the deep dive from the program and offer it at a later stage in the training progression ... allowing students to get more comfortable with their skills, and reducing the task-loading of managing a dive before going deep. Or, if deep diving is going to be part of the program, mandate that there are some dives between OW and AOW to allow the student to get more acclimated with their skills before signing up for the class. More emphasis on gas management, dive planning and good buddy skills should be incorporated into the AOW program to better prepare the diver for deep diving. And possibly add a section and a dive into the program that teaches the diver how to deal with task-loading before going deep. These would reduce some of the accidents we see that are caused by people going deep before they're ready for that sort of dive ... and it would enhance the overall experience of the class.

Confidence can be a great thing ... but it can also be a bad thing if it gives you the impression that you can handle dives that are beyond your ability. And you don't want to discover your real limitations in the middle of a diving incident ... that path generally leads to a less than fun experience for all involved, even if it ultimately turns out OK.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Would anyone have suggestions for what to do as the five required dives. Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

My thought is what are you trying to accomplish and where are you doing most of your diving?

You mentioned confidence but did not say where you are diving. Are you diving in PA and NJ areas - boat or shore diving? Or are you a vacation diver?

If you are a vacation diver - taking AOW in Mexico will help you in warm clear waters. If you are a North East diver - I would recommend taking it in NJ or PA (or relative area) so you get instruction and used to diving around your local area with local conditions.

I had a blast taking AOW in Key West - but I wanted to "check the box" - I am confident in my skills in the NJ areas and just wanted the card to present to the boats. You mentioned "confidence" so I am assuming you are not confident in the PA/NJ diving conditions - I believe if you take AOW locally it will give you an immeasurable level of confidence. But diving in Mexico and coming back to the visibility conditions in PA or NJ does not equate to confidence... Conversely - AOW diving in PA or NJ will make diving in Mexico a breeze. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom