suunto vyper vs aeris a300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoyoguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All,
I'm looking to sell my zoop for one of the above computers. My friend has a vyper that he isn't using in great condition he would sell me for 150 and you can find the aeris a300 for about 200 new. I'm looking for a computer that has gauge mode so when I progress into deco diving it can become my backup computer when I get a nicer one. One thing I can't find...does the aeris auto turn on in water? Any thoughts on which one to go after? Thanks

You are used to Suunto, so learning the Vyper will be a lot easier. But the Vyper gives you over your Zoop only backlight and gauge mode. Except that, it is identical, so not worth an investment from my point of view. Better get a Uwatec 330M from Scubapro if you want a great gauge/bottom timer, later, when you will need it.

Aeris A300 gives you gas switching with 3 gases, which you don't have on Vyper. So a real/useful upgrade from Zoop, if you need this feature. Yes, A300 activates in water, just found it in the manual online.

Between your choices, A300 is the better one, but I think you can stay with the Zoop if you don't need gas switching.

I had an Aeris Manta about 6 years ago. I didn't like it's buttons and user interface so I switched to a Vyper Air. But the computer still works and 2 friends of mine learned to dive on it. Also, I didn't like on the Manta that when the battery was half used, I was getting log transfer errors to PC. Replacing the battery always solved this. I don't know whether A300 has the same issue or not.

I think gauge mode is a lot more useful than multi-gas mode for a rec computer. Just when do rec diver use multiple gas? Beside a pony, do people dive recreation profile carry multiple gas?? And if you switch to pony, I assume it is for emergency, then you will be heading up already regardless what the computer says. So I never understand the point of multi gas feature for rec computer.

The issue I have with AUP/Pelogic computers in general is the way they choose what information to display. If you look at A300's manual, you can't get current depth and max depth on the same screen. You can't get Dive Time Remaining and Elapse time on the same screen. This also applies for gauge mode. This isn't specific to A300, but most AUP wrist units. If this is OK, they AUP makes good computer in general, very reliable. To me, these 4 piece of information is important. If I were to go with another computer again, it will not be another AUP because of this.

With Vyper, you can get current depth, max depth, Dive Time remaining, elapse time and water temp on the same screen. So for my usage, this will serve me better.

I think gauge mode is a lot more useful than multi-gas mode for a rec computer. Just when do rec diver use multiple gas? Beside a pony, do people dive recreation profile carry multiple gas?? And if you switch to pony, I assume it is for emergency, then you will be heading up already regardless what the computer says. So I never understand the point of multi gas feature for rec computer.

The issue I have with AUP/Pelogic computers in general is the way they choose what information to display. If you look at A300's manual, you can't get current depth and max depth on the same screen. You can't get Dive Time Remaining and Elapse time on the same screen. This also applies for gauge mode. This isn't specific to A300, but most AUP wrist units. If this is OK, they AUP makes good computer in general, very reliable. To me, these 4 piece of information is important. If I were to go with another computer again, it will not be another AUP because of this.

With Vyper, you can get current depth, max depth, Dive Time remaining, elapse time and water temp on the same screen. So for my usage, this will serve me better.

When does a rec diver use gauge mode ?

all, I ended up going with a GEO 2.0. Thanks for the advice!

we can now close this thread.

When does a rec diver use gauge mode ?

I do as well as a very large group of divers I dive with do. We use table, use average depth. I can think of 2 reason we do it: 1) we are trained that way. 2)We like to do long and shallow dives. This profile usually put rec computer into deco although it is well with in rec limited according tables even the PADI version.

The reason I prefer gauge mode over 3-gas is that gauge is the best backup device. If you ever get a more advanced computer for any reason, this cheap 1st rec computer in gauge mode can be a backup even if you are advanced to dive tech profile.

What can a recreation 3-gas computer without gauge mode do at that time? Paper weight!! Just why 3-gas in recreation profile is beyond my understanding

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom