Diving with strangers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I signed up for a dive where I'll have to travel five hours, take off work, and get two dives for somewhere north of $300 (including my over night room). I don't know the dive shop that's providing the boat and tanks and don't know any of the people going. It just hasn't been feeling right all day today and I'm thinking of backing out. In Texas, there aren't that many places to find a good dive in the Gulf and this wreck sounds good (Clipper) but I think I'd rather wait and go with people I kow and have gone diving with before. Since the dives will be fairly deep (100'), I just don't want to take my chances with whoever I might get paired up with both from a dive plan standpoint as well as enjoyment. Too much cost to not have a better idea of what to expect. Makes me nervous.

Is this silly? I've had buddies many times before I didn't know but within the context of a group I was more familiar with.

I need to develop some diving companions so that I can do stuff like this and enjoy it more. My son and wife used to be my companions but son has moved out of state and wife hasn't been diving in recent years.

Will there be a DM on the trip, or someone else who knows the wreck in question?

I have done a lot of diving with people I dont know. I dont worry about it much as long as the dive op has a decent reputation. Actually some of the time I didnt even have any info on them going in. It is something I have just gotten used to, but then when I first got certified it was with someone I had never met before and I went on to dive with a couple of different ops in the area with people I didnt know right after getting my certified.

For a reef dive I would not worry about it. For 100 ft I would just hire the DM. That should usually be set up in advance. Then you get to talk to them and the dive will be what you want in terms of aims, etc. Sometimes it is cheap ($40) sometimes you have to also buy their ride or half of it if they get an instructor rate. I just do not like lead group dives as a rule and if it will be a special dive for me I prefer not to have to worry about some body else.

I don't think it's silly at all. Since my wife stopped diving in cold water, I've been forced to find people to dive with. The alternative was not to dive at all, but that just wasn't palatable. A friendly instructor allowed me to tag along a few times and then I became friends with one of the DMs. Since then, they are my go to buddies.

Every time I get on a boat, though, I go through the same thing. Am excited to go, then doubt my choice because of the lack of buddy, not knowing the group, not knowing how welcoming they'll be, their skill level, whether my insta-buddy will be a decent diver, whether he/she goes too fast, etc. I just got off a boat trip yesterday where I didn't know a soul again (except for the captain). In all the times I've done this, I've never regretted it and always have a good time. Sure, it's uncomfortable, but once you're under those things tend to go away.

With regard to the skill level necessary, I tend to sort of size people up and approach the one(s) I think would fit my diving style and skill level best. It's not perfect of course, but you do the best you can. At the end of the day, it's diving and it's what you love.

....It just hasn't been feeling right all day today and I'm thinking of backing out..... but I think I'd rather wait and go with people I kow and have gone diving with before. .... I just don't want to take my chances with whoever.... a better idea of what to expect. Makes me nervous.

I hear what you mind is telling you.

Is this silly?

Maybe, by somebody's standards, but it's better to heed your own internal meter.

Is this silly? I've had buddies many times before I didn't know but within the context of a group I was more familiar with.

Not in the least. In fact, it's a very realistic concern. Some shops will arrange a "professional buddy" (read: a private Divemaster) for you at request if you want to make a particular dive and don't want any surprises when it comes to the skills of your buddy. Obviously there will be a cost involved but the quality of your buddy is the issue and not the price, then it could be worth calling the shop and talking to them about that.

I need to develop some diving companions so that I can do stuff like this and enjoy it more. My son and wife used to be my companions but son has moved out of state and wife hasn't been diving in recent years.

This is a very common problem and actually a problem that can only be solved by diving. Networking with people is far and away the best way to develop a group of buddies. You could look for a shop that has something like a loosely organized "club" that dives regularly together in order to meet people.

R..

Perhaps some of the protocols for solo or self reliant diving, such as a slung redundant air supply, could help to mitigate the questionability of a random buddy?

Perhaps some of the protocols for solo or self reliant diving, such as a slung redundant air supply, could help to mitigate the questionability of a random buddy?

This isn't a bad general suggestion. Actually I kind of like it in terms of securing your own safety.

That said, the buddy system goes both ways. If your buddy is a 5-alarm D-sized boob then your dive (and your money/time) will still be wasted babysitting them. If you're paying a lot for a dive then I think it's reasonable to expect the shop to ensure that you are matched up with a diver with similar training and abilities. The rub is that the shop has to try cooking the perfect meal with the ingredients that walked in the door that morning.... and it's simply not always possible.

R..

My thought is that you are doubting the trip due to lack of communication with the dive boat or you have a bad feeling about this trip. If this is true - call the shop and find out as much as you can - when you say you are nervous - your mind is telling you to be careful - I do not dismiss those feelings or vibes. I get very cautious and would either find out what is bothering me about this particular trip or cancel the trip.
If you are just nervous because you don't know anyone but are confident in your skills and your diving - I would put that aside and go dive.
Either way it is your call and you should be confident and comfortable before your dive...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom