Hand held sonar device anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone have experience using this kind of device for diving. I know it it is just another gadget to have but its seems pretty interesting. Especially if if you can use it for things like finding certain things or fish underwater. Or perhaps locating a your dive buddy in case you become separated.

I was wondering about this after I received a GPS drawing made by my wife for fathers Day. That got me thinking about GPS and diving and thought its to bad you can't GPS underwater but what about sonar.Then I discovered that it is still used, although in a different application. I thought it was still a navigational aid, because it could provide information for a course direction which you could use to locate something and as a result could save you time and more important air consumption.

What do you think and does any one have any experience using this kind of device?

Hand-held Sonar Devices for Scuba Divers

I think you're mis-interpreting what it does. It tells you the distance from a fixed (or moving object like a school of fish) but it does not graphically display anything but a number. It's not like a fish finder (similar technology) that actually displays a graphical representation of a school. Or boat mounted sonar which can display the contour of the bottom on a large screen.

If you have no idea where your lost buddy is you won't know where to point it. Sonar only works when it gets a return off an object it can time giving the relative distance. Or the bottom, or a large target like a flat rock, ship hull etc. Any of which could be your "buddy" as far as it knows.

It's interesting that clicking on the links in the Leisurepro article don't take you to the product but a generic LP webpage. I think it's some writer's 5 year old fantasy - note the artlcle date. And the link to the "buddy finder" at the bottom takes you to one of those $25 wrist toys.

On the Hawkeye website their claims are much more based in reality.
HawkEye hand held depth finders and depth sounders are powerful portable sonar systems. Not only do they give you instant depth readings, from 2.5 to 199 Feet, in 1/10th precision, but at the press of a button, their displays will give real time temperature (water or air) and fish readings. Use them in the winter to shoot through ice before cutting your hole. Use them as backup depth sounders on your pleasure boat or scan for channels in your dingy. No matter how you use them, you should never leave the dock without a HawkEye Hand Held Depth Finder...

Handheld Depth Finder | Portable Depth Sounders

If you really want a buddy finder, buy a Liquivision system. http://www.liquivision.com/en-US/All-Products

I looked at this device a few years ago. The reviews everywhere said that it breaks quickly. Don't buy a future paperweight.

Its too bad, but I guess this type of device has to evolve further. I would think technology would eventually allow for a hand held to have graphic imagery which would provide a lot more detail information of what the sonar is detecting. It seems to vague and unimpressive at this point.

Thanks for the info.

I have a buddy that would drop the shot line off target and expect me to go down the line, find the wreck, and then drag the chain to it and do the tie in. I considered getting one of these to help find the wreck when he left me in the sand, but I realized how crappy it was. It was cheaper and easier to fix my buddy. He doesn't miss as often now.

Mike Nelson had one back in the day.

a hand held to have graphic imagery which would provide a lot more detail information of what the sonar is detecting.

Just what info are you hoping for? I suppose that there's potential utility for locating stuff where the viz is limited, such as finding a wreck or some other site once you've descended. Overall I'm not seeing a lot of use for such a device.

Just what info are you hoping for? I suppose that there's potential utility for locating stuff where the viz is limited, such as finding a wreck or some other site once you've descended. Overall I'm not seeing a lot of use for such a device.

They are used a lot in surveying caves, in particular to estimate the size of rooms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom