Strobe lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dnaber

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For daytime diving in less than ideal vis conditions, would a white flashing strobe light on the decent/accent line be worth the money ($30.00+-)? How effective is this? Thanks

It effective at night because you can see it a long way away. If you are in 6-8 foot vis I'm not sure how far during daylight you could see it.

The point it that you can see it better than the am or line itself in low viz. Yes they are helpful at times, but unnecessary most other times.

It effective at night because you can see it a long way away. If you are in 6-8 foot vis I'm not sure how far during daylight you could see it.

If you are in 6-8ft of vis, the 25-30 ft you might be able to see a strobe IS a long way away.

I'll often clip a strobe onto the upline here in NJ when the viz is both low AND dark. But the main thing to do is run a reel as well. That's what's going to get you back close enough to see the strobe.

PS - a $30 strobe ain't gonna cut it. Figure twice that for something like this Tektite 200 xenon strobe that runs on two c-cells.

TKTS2BK.jpg

In daylight conditions with 15' or less vis, I have found it difficult to return to a line unless it is anchored to a known easily retraceable point, even with my tektite strobe.

In daylight conditions with 15' or less vis, I have found it difficult to return to a line unless it is anchored to a known easily retraceable point, even with my tektite strobe.

Yup... that's what the reel is for. Makes any point "easily retraceable." :D

Reactions: Doc
If you are in 6-8ft of vis, the 25-30 ft you might be able to see a strobe IS a long way away.

I'll often clip a strobe onto the upline here in NJ when the viz is both low AND dark. But the main thing to do is run a reel as well. That's what's going to get you back close enough to see the strobe.

PS - a $30 strobe ain't gonna cut it. Figure twice that for something like this Tektite 200 xenon strobe that runs on two c-cells.

TKTS2BK.jpg

+1 to what RJP said. Up here in Mass, the tektite strobes are the most common ones that I see on the boats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know there are a lot of bad reviews stating those Techtite 200s tend to flood.

You know there are a lot of bad reviews stating those Techtite 200s tend to flood.

Mine's been on ~500 or so dives. Only times it's flooded has been when someone ELSE used it and unscrewed it to to turn it off before surfacing and unscrewed it too much.

Both times it flooded I rinsed it in fresh water, sanded the battery contacts, and put new batteries in it. Thing still works fine.

Back
Top Bottom