GEO 2.0 user settings help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoyoguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK all you GEO 2.0 users...I need a little help. I actually understand the directions for setting up my computer quite well but im getting stuck on one thing. So before I go and purchase the online class thing from oceanic, I was hoping you may be able to shed some light. Ok here goes.
I have set everything up as far as date/time, alarms for both max depth and dive time. I understand how to navigate the computer quite well but im getting stuck on the gases. It allows you to set up two different gases. here are my questions:

1. Should the first gas be set for strictly "air" and the second gas be "nitrox (32%)" since these will be all I use for now OR are these gas settings supposed to be used for other things BUT air and there is some how a default setting for air (making 3 total gases)? I hope that makes sense.

2. The reason I ask the above is I notice it appears you cannot switch gases until you are actually under water. if that is the case, how would I start my computer off in nitrox mode if im making a simple recreational nitrox dive? I will be taking my nitrox course in 2 weeks so this is all new to me but I do understand the concept behind nitrox diving. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure you have to set gas 1 to whatever gas you are using on that dive. Gas 2 would only be enabled if you are using a second gas on that dive. So set gas 1 to 32% if you're diving nitrox or 21/air if you're not.

Yoyo if you bought the computer new oceanic will give you a coupon code for the online course and it is free go to oceanics website and register. If not for 799 the course does help to learn the basic navigation through the menus it does not cover everything but it does help in understanding menu navigation.

Set whatever gas you'll be diving as gas 1. If you are carrying another gas with you (pony Bottle, deco gas, etc) that becomes gas 2

Yes. Gas 1 is the gas you will be using on your dive. It will be the default gas and the gas used when you hit the water. If you are also carrying a second gas, such as a deco gas, then set that as gas 2. If you are not carrying a second gas, no need to set it. Remember too that the settings will not be retained and will need to be reset each day of diving.

Yes. No need to set Gas 2 at all unless you have a pony or deco bottle.

Yes. Gas 1 is the gas you will be using on your dive. It will be the default gas and the gas used when you hit the water. If you are also carrying a second gas, such as a deco gas, then set that as gas 2. If you are not carrying a second gas, no need to set it. Remember too that the settings will not be retained and will need to be reset each day of diving.

Yes. No need to set Gas 2 at all unless you have a pony or deco bottle.

Thanks all,
I had thought maybe I could use it to set my air and nitrox ahead of time and then simply switch from one to the other just by switching from Gas 1 to Gas 2. I understand it better now. Gas 1/default will always be the gas im diving that day (air or nitrox), while gas 2 is strictly used for your second gas once you are under water...such as a deco gas.

I now have one more question. So If I set my gas 1 to a nitrox gas at 32% and then do my morning dive and then now my second dive later that day will be just air so I switch gas 1 back to air. Will the dive computer take all this into consideration for things like my surface time with respect to calculating my new NDL times for my second dive, and maybe my third dive after?

Yes it will. One note: I can't remember if the Geo does this or not, but many computers won't let you switch to air AFTER diving nitrox. The solution is to use a 21% nitrox mix. No problem work it at all, it's just "nitrox mode" for the day.

Thanks all,
I had thought maybe I could use it to set my air and nitrox ahead of time and then simply switch from one to the other just by switching from Gas 1 to Gas 2. I understand it better now. Gas 1/default will always be the gas im diving that day (air or nitrox), while gas 2 is strictly used for your second gas once you are under water...such as a deco gas.

I now have one more question. So If I set my gas 1 to a nitrox gas at 32% and then do my morning dive and then now my second dive later that day will be just air so I switch gas 1 back to air. Will the dive computer take all this into consideration for things like my surface time with respect to calculating my new NDL times for my second dive, and maybe my third dive after?
With some DC's you could actually do this but the Geo is not set up that way.

Yes. The computer will adjust any subsequent NDL dive times to the gas entered for that dive. So if you dive air or any other mix, as long as you set the new gas, the Geo will adjust. If you are asking about the dive planning feature, this too will adjust after you set it for the new mix.

Edit: Good point Victor. Its been so long since I dove air that I don't have an answer for that either.

geo.jpg

Yes it will. One note: I can't remember if the Geo does this or not, but many computers won't let you switch to air AFTER diving nitrox. The solution is to use a 21% nitrox mix. No problem work it at all, it's just "nitrox mode" for the day.

You can switch from Air to Nitrox with the Geo. I would still set to 21% anyways because then it shows MOD's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom