whites thermal fusion versus fourth element arctic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PNW

Registered
Reaction score
I dive a Whites Fusion Tech with the thermal fusion undergarment plus underarmour sweat wicking layer in South Vancouver Island and noticed I have restricted mobility when trying to reach my doubles valves.

It seems my drysuit is too small for the type of undergarment I am using. I did a test using some much lighter layered clothing from my closet and had no problem whatsoever reaching my valves despite being much colder after an hour dive in 45 degree water (too cold). My question is this....Is the Fourth Element Arctic significantly thinner than the whites thermal fusion? Is it warm enough (I don't tend to get as cold as others as quickly as others)?

My dives tend to be 50-70 minutes long and at fairly recreational depths (no deeper than 100 feet).

Any input would be appreciated...my goal is to not replace my drysuit however realize I may have to...

I don't think it's significantly thinner, and it's not as warm.

Reactions: PNW
Appreciate the reply. That's what I was afraid of. I could go down a touch in terms of warmth from the thermal fusion but if there are no options that will offer me a bit more space it will be money thrown away...I figured my fusion tech x/xl would have been the right size given my 6'0, 180 pound frame...should have sized up I guess....looks like a larger drysuit may be the solution!

I don't think a larger suit is answer. A different suit maybe.
I'm the same height and about 15 lbs. heavier.
I use the thermal fusion with my fusion bullet, TLS and Santi and there is reduce range of motion with the fusion.
I attribute it to the zipper and the neck seal system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Fusion Tech, same L/XL size and dive with both the Thermal Fusion and Arctic. I find the TF slightly warmer and use the Arctic here in Seattle during the warmer months (and it's relatively the same thickness, if not a little thicker). I'm also running heavier, but can reach the valves - they are a stretch, but I can run the drills. I need to go dive a DUI or other suit to see if there's a noticeable difference in reaching valves. I also have friends who dive DUI and still have problems reaching valves so it may not be all suit, but there may be some physical constraints there.

There is no doubt that increased flexibility and solid trim alleviates some of the valve drill movement issues...I've worked pretty hard at both over the past several months (had some serious lack of flexibility before)...but, I feel like the reach is still restricted...like I'm running out of material to do the reach even before adding the bp/wing etc - that's also why I did the dive with less undergarment - the extra space allowed me to get all valves without trouble. I think I will rent a DUI from a local shop and see if there is a difference. This feedback was really helpful, thank you!

Do you have the SiTech neck ring? It definitely impacts range of motion. But I think you are on the edge between L/XL and the next size up, and with Fusions, it's always better to err on the side of buying the bigger size.

Yes. Si tech neck and wrist. It would appear I was fitted correctly for tropical but not for the undergarments required in our waters. Thanks all!

Hey Lynn - I actually looked at the neck ring system for the first time and am wondering about removing this feature. Any thoughts on if this is worth trying? Cost involved?

I don't know what the cost is, because I haven't done it.

I came up with a maneuver that allows me to get my valves -- The first step is to bring my shoulder on that side as far forward as I can, and use it to PUSH the ring to the other side. Only then do I raise the arm and elbow, as close to my head as I can, given that the ring has been moved a little. Doing it that way, I can reach everything, although it certainly is NOWHERE near as easy as it was before I had the ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom