Dive Flag Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dovii

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for recommendations on a quality dive flag for a boat in Florida. According to Florida law the flag must be 20x24 inches, but bigger would certainly be better. A stiffener must also be used as well. We have gone through quite a few dive flags that begin to tatter, get washed out by the sun, or the stiffener breaks. Does anyone have a good lead on a quality dive flag that will last while seeing daily use? The flags on most of the dive shop sites just seem pretty cheap. We would be willing to pay extra for top quality!

Thanks for any help!

Get a piece of Corroplast, that stuff they make campaign signs out of.

I went to a sign shop and bought that exterior grade vinyl contact "paper" they cut signs out of for truck door lettering. Red on both sides to cover it, add a white stripe. They price this self adhesive vinyl by the inch, but that's their price for an actual sign. Tell them to get a grip, you just want the raw material, which is about 1/30 price of the material as a full produced lettered sign. I don't know what kind of paint might adhere, I wanted a permanent "flag", but the way those political signs last at our outdoor shooting range, there is some kind of paint you could use.

I liberally screwed that to a 6' length of 1" schedule 40 PVC, with a PVC end cap cemented on top.

I mount this by slipping it over the top of a hard fixed upright topmast I fashioned out of Aluminum rod, (tagged that stiff rod to the vessel grounding cable just to hedge my bets). I got fancy and used a hinged mount from West Marine.

The flag on the PVC tube swivels 180, never furls, always erect, easy to remove, hasn't worn out in five years on Lake Michigan.

Basic costs and above the fancy hinge? $14

I would get a red one with a white diagonal stripe.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom