Independence Day dive off Orange Beach, some good lessons learned..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nolatom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I took a day trip (starting at 0-Dark-thirty) from New Orleans over to the M/V DOWN UNDER at Orange Beach, AL, a boat I've been on a few times before, and like, in order to break a 4-month dry spell. Captain Bert, DMs Cheynne ("Shane") and Brian, are a good team. Weather was mildly windy and lumpy from the southwest, scattered showers, which evidently kept the smaller boats inshore, so we had the 300' freighter LULU to ourselves. She was sunk about 3 years ago, still a ship, but slowiy becoming a vegetation attraction and fish habitat, a/k/a a "ship of the deep".

Only about 10 divers onboard, so lots of elbow room. Which we needed, because the surface current was (to me) ripping. Those who know said it was one knot. I think we tend to overestimate speed of current when telling about it, but a knot felt like a lot to this diver. Grab that sideline FAST, or you're downcurrent history. Wind blowing same direction, so all the more to have to pull against. It was hard work, and we all used a lot of air just getting to the tie-in line to the wreck. Difficult to hold on while pinching your nose to equalize. No chance to reach for gauges or dump valves, you needed both hands on the rope. Easier once on the downline, but the current didn't let up much til about 40' down, below which it wasn't bad at all. Same with the vis, murky and planktony til you got halfway down, then cleared to about 50' as the temp dropped from about 84 to 78. I buddied with an "insta" from Cali, Jimmy, who was good, and good company on the boat.

Both dives were fine, the LULU is fun. She sits upright in 115', but most of us stayed at deck level or above, about 90-95', and the house tops at 60, so a good spot for old divers or new.

My lessons came from the current (it makes your dives shorter, like about 26 min compared to 32 a year ago, and you have to start the ascent with more air than usual just in case, so it shortens the dive on both ends) , and from my (stupid?) weight belt. After 12 faithful years, it let go on first dive sideline ascent, no way to grab it go after it so I had to let it disappear down into the murk. Here's where the current helped me though, I was now way light but with all the divers on the line being streamed like horizontal flags, the sideline stayed down so I couldn't float it up too far despite my lost 14 pounds, and I got a gradual ascent by hanging on to it.

I chalked it off to maybe having snagged the buckle on something or someone as we "flags" shuffled for places at the safety stop. So, I need a new belt, and asked the boat for extra weights for my BC pockets for dive two.

But Cheynne suited up, went back down, and got it! Hoo Ah! Great work! I was grateful. But somehow I showed my gratitude by ruining Cheynne's good work and having my rescued belt let go again at the very beginning of the second dive, at the sideline with no one around. WTF?? Back to the stern, confessed to the guys, and gave fins to climb out and sit down. But they were way ahead of me and had 2 weights ready for me while I was still on the ladder, so I pocketed them, went back in, actually found my buddy, and had a good second dive.

"Conventional wisdom" from the above Magi was that it likely was a worn-out buckle, it may have slipped free with the buckle still closed? This time it was not retrievable. But I got two good dives, enjoyed the day, and stopped at the local dive shop on the way home for a replacement so I would not do a slow burn about being beltless. Another lesson re-learned--the soft weights cost more than the belt. Duh. Final lesson was that my new mask with magnifying glass and gauge-reading insert, make diving more fun since I could see better (also duh).

So a fun day on an excellent boat, the lessons learned may be old ones, but maybe I needed to learn them first-hand so they'd be "real". scenic Orange Beach was jammed as we passed by through the inlet at mid-day, with many power-drinkers I suspect. I, a Mass. transplant, like the Redneck Rivera. Good diving on the "third coast". I'll be back!!

Glad all turned out ok. I keep looking at my weight belt buckle, being close to 10 years old and wonder when she will let go. Anyway, the gauge reading masks are life savers, no way I could see my computer or gauges with out it.

Sounds like you still had a great dive despite the problems. I have dove the Lulu 4 times and always enjoy diving her. Did you happen to notice if there was an American Flag on it? There used to be one on the stern and last fall I noticed that there wasn't one. I plan on diving it again in September with my dive club and if there still isn't one, I plan on installing a new one.

Was it a plastic buckle? The only time I've had a weight belt let go, it was a plastic buckle, and I had no problems once I switched to a good metal one. Nowadays, I use the rubber free-diving weight belt with the tongued buckle.

I too have a really hard time understanding how a weight belt buckle could fail. I've never seen a WB buckle that wasn't metal.

Mostly the dive shops have plastic buckles. Mine was plastic. So's the new belt I picked up on the way home, but I believe I'll shop around eventually for a steel-buckle one. That's what was recommended on the boat, and here too.

Personally, I couldn't "picture" it either, but it happened. Either the buckle opened up (on its own? it had to on dive 2, I don't see how anything could have snagged it that time) or it slipped the belt fabric while closed (because the teeth had worn down over 12 or 13 years?

I guess we could recover it and analyze the buckle, but I doubt either will happen. I would like the weights back, oh well. Live and learn.

And my compliments to the boat crew once again for "saving" my second dive. These guys were good...

The last time I rented gear I had a 20lb weight belt come unbuckled at about 45'. Luckily I felt it slipping off and was able to grab it and avoid an uncontrolled ascent. I bought my own bc and use integrated now.

Back
Top Bottom