Beware lunatic divemasters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Russoft

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I hope this is the best place to post this story.

While I've been diving since 1998, I haven't done regular diving so my experience is quite limited considering the number of years I've been certified. My wife got certified in 2012 with only a few Discover Scuba courses to show for experience. We have less than 50 dives if we put them together. Since I've started diving more regularly in the past few years, I keep being reminded that a dive shop will happily take your money and then throw you in on the deep end.

In Mexico, we dove a cenote. I explained our current level of experience to the dive shop prior to expressing interest in diving a cenote. I somewhat foolishly assumed that they wouldn't take us on a dive beyond our experience. I found myself swimming through narrow caves in pitch blackness. While I'm sure we were technically not cave diving due to our short distance into the overhead environment, I am pretty sure our divemaster took us far beyond our limits.

That experience should've led me to be a lot more cautious and inquisitive about dive sites prior to doing the dive. It didn't. A year later I was in southeast Africa doing open water dives. I'm not particularly concerned about going a little deeper than 18 meters. It seems divemasters have been taking me below 20 meters since I was certified as a teen. What I found profoundly disturbing about my dives on this trip was that of the three divemasters on the dives with us, not one of them thought it was unacceptably to push our dives into deco.

My wife and I agreed to stay non-deco, which wasn't really a problem since my air consumption was too high for that length of bottom time anyway. After our first "premature" ascent from a dive, we were coached on breathing slowly so we can stay down longer (and go into deco, which is what every recreation diver wants, right?!).

Next dive, everyone was talking about how "we'd probably go into a bit of deco if we see some nice things on the bottom". Again, I called the dive early, because, you know, I'm a recreational diver. We, and most of the other paying customers, sat on the boat for what seemed like a half hour. When our DM finally climbed aboard with a 12 year old diver in tow, they told us the story about how they went into 20 minutes of deco. So our DM took a Junior OW diver into 20 minutes of deco. Wow, this guy is a real gem.

I'd finally figured out that our DMs were a bunch of cowboys when it came to our safety. They were all very experienced divers and didn't for a second consider the experience level of their customers.

At the next dive briefing my first question was "what's the max depth?". The DM was a little wishy-washy with his response "oh, 18 meters... 22 at the deepest". I figure that's okay. When we hit the reef on the next dive, we're at 18 meters. Wow, no one lied. Then I realize we're swimming into the current. Someone dropped us on the wrong end of the reef. So we swim against the current. I watch as my depth gauge drops below 20 meters, then 22, then 24. Who plans a dive with a shallow to deep profile?
I call 50 bar at 25 meters and the DM was so slow to send up the buoy for me to ascend that I almost ran out of air and had to use my wife's octo to avoid depressurizing my cylinder entirely. After that, I wasn't doing any more 'deep' diving and if anyone breathed a word about deco, I'd be staying on shore.

Most of the paying customers banded together and demanded a dive site we all knew was shallow. The DMs relented and we finally got a relaxing and very enjoyable dive. More sunlight was available for photos and enjoying the coral. We all got very long bottom times well over an hour and we all ascended with grins plastered on our faces. Why couldn't that have been ALL the dives?

Dear DMs (and/or dive shop management) Please don't take my money and give me a thrill. If I want a thrill, I can pursue cave diving or ice diving or deep diving. When I'm on holiday, I want to relax. I want long bottom times on pretty reefs. I'm not in the mood for debate and negotiation when I'm on vacation. I don't want to be swindled. If a bunch of seasoned divers want an advanced dive, then don't try to convince me the dive is within my limits just to fill up the boat.

To my fellow low-experience divers: Insist that dives be within your own limits and at your comfort level. Spell out what you want from your dives to the DM. Don't assume that just because a DM is friendly and helpful on dry ground, that they won't push you to do a dive that you are in no way ready for.

We spent vacations from 1997 to about 2011 diving with a "cowboy". Wouldn't have missed it for the world! Those are the divemasters that still love to dive. We had been certified for 12 years before we dove with this guy but he is who taught us to dive. Most dive shops don't want the thrill. They want you to breath your tank up and get back on the boat. I don't think you will have a problem finding dive shops like that.

Biggest compliment of my diving career was after a dive that somewhat exceeded PADI standards (he said beforehand that we might go into deco a little but we didn't) when he told us he would take us diving anyplace.

I'm pushing 60 with a short stick now and don't push the limits as much but I'm comfortable in all dive boat situations I see because of that guy who loved to dive.

My second rule of diving is you can call a dive at any time, for any reason, no questions asked and no repercussions. You can call a dive before you get out of bed if your ears can't clear. You can even call a dive because your DM or dive buddy is an idiot. :D Kudos for not being silent about the trust me dives. DMs and Instructors need to listen to their charges and let them set limits. Just say no to 'trust me' dives.

:D Kudos for not being silent about the trust me dives. DMs and Instructors need to listen to their charges and let them set limits. Just say no to 'trust me' dives.

But, Pete... it sounds like the OP was essentially silent about the trust-me dives until he came to SB and posted about them.

As is almost always the case with a diver's complaint about a dive op, the complaint would quite likely have been obviated by fewer assumptions and better communication. On the part of the OP and the diver.

If I'm reading the post properly I read things like "everyone was talking about going into a litle deco" but the OP didn't say "Sorry, no" on the boat. They went along on the dive and "called it early" while in the water. While thumbing a dive in the water whenever you want is certainly fine... the OP should have made his desire clear BEFORE entering the water. It would have been very easy to say "Mr DM, this dive is a recreational dive and I'm not comfortable with a plan that involves any deco obligation."

As to small things like fretting over going to 24 meters when the plan was 22 meters... frankly I think that's a bit much.

I'm not defending dive ops that don't listen to their customers. But if the customers want the op to listen to them they need to speak up and be an advocate for themselves. Not just in the water, but on the phone, on the dock, and on the boat.

I think he was suckered on a number of these. They said one thing and he experienced quite another. The Cenote thing happens all the time. I've heard this happen first hand where the diver was mislead about the nature of the dive. You can be sure that 'Swimming through narrow caves in pitch blackness' was not in the dive description. It's hard to express your displeasure underwater when you're about to crap in your pants due to fear.

I think he was suckered on a number of these. They said one thing and he experienced quite another. The Cenote thing happens all the time. I've heard this happen first hand where the diver was mislead about the nature of the dive. You can be sure that 'Swimming through narrow caves in pitch blackness' was not in the dive description. It's hard to express your displeasure underwater when you're about to crap in your pants due to fear.

You're right about the cenote thing.

BRT, the dive operator (in Africa) was a great guy to share a beer with. He runs a dive shop in the middle of absolutely no where because he loves diving. I'm not speaking to his character, but perhaps his judgement. I might have actually enjoyed more of those dives had I been diving more regularly but it was a bit much.

RJP, you're right. I should've communicated better. I'm not a very assertive person but I'm quickly realizing that I'll have to be if I want to enjoy my diving more. As for the 22 vs. 24 meters, the exact phrasing used was "there's one part where it gets down to 22 meters" which gave me the impression that most of the dive was at 18 meters, otherwise why start out saying the dive was 18 meters? I ended the dive at 25. That extra 7 meters does make a difference, especially at the rate I breath air. I just wanted to share these experiences because I'm sure I'm not the only one who has felt this way after a dive trip.

Good call on stopping to do dives beyond your comfort level! What prevented you from sending your own safety sausage and ascending without waiting for the dive master? I'm not criticizing your actions, but clearly it would have made you more comfortable and resulted in a safer dive (sharing air is very rare among safe divers!) to be able to ascend when you wanted and needed to without waiting for thr DM. Maybe the boat told you to rely on the dm but hey, they also were the ones who took you out of your comfort zone!

Anyways, I hope your next trip is with a dive shop that doesn't force you outside your comfort and safety zone. Those dm's sounded pretty irresponsible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've only been pushed once hard, but not by a DM, but a dive buddy. I just got a DPV, I had about 30 dives or so under the belt (and about 16 of them in the Yucatan). It was winter, just snowed, Puget Sound, going to have to deal with strong currents (yes, I just acquired a DPV, but I wasn't used to it yet) and I wasn't feeling well. He pushed and pushed, but I backed out the last minute. I'm pretty sure he won't dive with me as he won't talk with me. But that's fine. I consider such a dive buddy as unsafe. This was a year and a half ago, and I'm approaching 200 dives and I'd have no problem with doing that dive now. Back then, definitely not. I'm looking at becoming an instructor in the future, and that is one thing I will emphasize to students: never let anyone push you when you are not comfortable to handling everything assuming you are suddenly on your own. Had I caved, I could have gotten into a really bad situation.

BRT, the dive operator (in Africa) was a great guy to share a beer with. He runs a dive shop in the middle of absolutely no where because he loves diving. I'm not speaking to his character, but perhaps his judgement. I might have actually enjoyed more of those dives had I been diving more regularly but it was a bit much.

RJP, you're right. I should've communicated better. I'm not a very assertive person but I'm quickly realizing that I'll have to be if I want to enjoy my diving more. As for the 22 vs. 24 meters, the exact phrasing used was "there's one part where it gets down to 22 meters" which gave me the impression that most of the dive was at 18 meters, otherwise why start out saying the dive was 18 meters? I ended the dive at 25. That extra 7 meters does make a difference, especially at the rate I breath air. I just wanted to share these experiences because I'm sure I'm not the only one who has felt this way after a dive trip.

Some people, many people, prefer more energetic and adventurous diving and do not like being nannied. But I understand what you are saying, perhaps next time discuss upfront your expectations and then (before the trip) the operator can explain to you the types of diving they provide and that their usual clientele expect in the case there might be a conflict with the expectations of the other clients. Perhaps they can provide a guide who will give you a more relaxing dive. Me, I will relax when I am dead, there will be plenty of time then.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom