Insurance for AOW course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Our standard travel insurance only covers us to 18m. We are going to do the AOW course this time so therefore need extra insurance for the deeper dive(s). Can anyone recommend a good insurer for this? We already have annual worldwide travel insurance, so was hoping we could get something specifically for the dive portion of this trip. It is a 17-day trip to Caribbean/US, with diving only for the first 5 days, so don't really want to have to buy an insurance policy for the whole trip if it's possible to avoid it, as the rest of it is covered by our existing policy.

Thanks in advance.

Call DAN. Their student insurance is free. However it states on their website "entry level divers". I do not know if AOW is still considered "entry level". You would have to call to find out. Regardless, you may want to just become a DAN member and pick an insurance plan. This way you don't have to question whether or not your covered.

Scuba Diving Training

I do not know if AOW is still considered "entry level".

It is not.

---------- Post added October 21st, 2015 at 07:13 AM ----------

Hi,

Our standard travel insurance only covers us to 18m. We are going to do the AOW course this time so therefore need extra insurance for the deeper dive(s). Can anyone recommend a good insurer for this? We already have annual worldwide travel insurance, so was hoping we could get something specifically for the dive portion of this trip. It is a 17-day trip to Caribbean/US, with diving only for the first 5 days, so don't really want to have to buy an insurance policy for the whole trip if it's possible to avoid it, as the rest of it is covered by our existing policy.

Thanks in advance.

Dive insurance, such as DAN, cannot be purchased for a single trip. Plunk down the small sum of money that a DAN policy costs and be done with it.

Thanks - I'm looking into DAN now.

It is not.

---------- Post added October 21st, 2015 at 07:13 AM ----------

Dive insurance, such as DAN, cannot be purchased for a single trip. Plunk down the small sum of money that a DAN policy costs and be done with it.

agreed. For the 160 bucks or so, it is an internationally recognized coverage policy and will cover even ancillary costs that your standard insurance wont (like a Heli ride). Im no expert but I think even a single DCS hit would make the ROI worth it for me, and I don't really even really go much deeper than 60 fsw

DAN may not be able to be purchased for a single trip, but there is at least one dive insurance company that will sell insurance for a set amount of days. whether or not it is available for purchase in the US is another thing though

DAN may not be able to be purchased for a single trip, but there is at least one dive insurance company that will sell insurance for a set amount of days. whether or not it is available for purchase in the US is another thing though

I am in the UK (so 17 days to US is expensive for single-trip travel insurance but is already covered with our annual multi-trip).

Do you know which insurance company that is?

I'm finding this all a bit confusing as not sure if having 2 policies simultaneously is allowed, and DAN seems to be duplicating what we already have with the exception of the 18m limit (happy to pay for this but want to make sure I'm not somehow invalidating both policies by having more than 1).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom