Use of a pre-dive checklist on the incidence of diving mishaps in recreational scuba+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is not news.... We have known for years that check lists are needed to not miss things... The problem is getting people to use them.. And stop when the check list tells them to stop...

Jim...

I prepared a short checklist which is in permanent marker on the first "page" of my wrist slate...simple things but things that can be overlooked when in a hurry or distracted.

This is not news.... We have known for years that check lists are needed to not miss things... The problem is getting people to use them.. And stop when the check list tells them to stop...

Checklists are very useful for inexperienced and infrequent recreational divers. Complacency is the problem for experienced divers even if the checklist were silkscreened on the arm of their wetsuit.

We had the same problem with far more complex predive checklists on Saturation diving systems. Interestingly, the divers in the bell are more likely to check stuff off without paying much attention, presumably because it was their risk rather than putting someone else in danger.

Many operations now have the supervisor read the checklist over the comms and monitor them on TV while the bellman and at least one diver each call out the OK. You think complacency is an issue with divers that get wet a few times a month, how about every day?

Even though it is far more dangerous, we don't have checklists for driving a car and don't think twice about assuming the tires are fine. The fear factor is unjustifiably low, the routine is very frequent, so the probability of complacency is very high.

Last edited:
Checklists are very useful for inexperienced and infrequent recreational divers. Complacency is the problem for experienced divers even if the checklist were silkscreened to the arm of their wetsuit.

We had the same problem with far more complex predive checklists on Saturation diving systems. Interestingly, the divers in the bell are more likely to check stuff off without paying much attention, presumably because it was their risk rather than putting someone else in danger.

Many operations now have the supervisor read the checklist over the comms and monitor them on TV while the bellman and at least one diver each call out the OK. You think complacency is an issue with divers the get wet a few times a month, how about every day?

Even though it is far more dangerous, we don’t have checklists for driving a car and don’t think twice assuming the tires are fine. The fear factor is unjustifiably low, the routine is very frequent, so the probability of complacency is very high.

Checklist work best when one reads and the other checks... Or having a acronym and going through it yourself... It's one of the first things you learn in aviation is using checklists for everything... Counting your tools before and after...Using manuals and doing things in the right order... Safety wire and using a torque wrench on every bolt or nut.. That is why the airlines and Aviation in general have such a great safety record ...

Jim....

An idea just came to mind that needs more evolution. What if you could put a custom checklist on your dive computer? That checklist would need to be gone through to get into dive mode. Most diver computers can hook to PCs and Mac now. Hopefully they will all have Bluetooth and/or WiFi soon. That checklist in-turn becomes part of your dive log.

I might actually use it if I weren't such a complacent SOB. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
An idea just came to mind that needs more evolution. What if you could put a custom checklist on your dive computer? That checklist would need to be gone through to get into dive mode.

As much flak as I'll get for having owned one, the Poseidon Mk VI has this very thing built into it. You cannot skip over anything, and if any checks fail, you cannot dive the unit until the deficiency is corrected.

With open circuit, the problem I see is trying to program in multiple types of gear set-up configurations. Any ideas how to do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some on the forum have been critical of dive computer alarms, such as for low pressure. Apparently if you're a good and attentive diver you won't need such.

A DC that forces you to click through a checklist? That better be a feature I can turn off.

With open circuit, the problem I see is trying to program in multiple types of gear set-up configurations. Any ideas how to do that?
You could structure it like the GUE predive checklist. There is a series of things to cover in a set order but the core is making sure everyone agrees on what you are doing and how you will do it, all your regs can be breathed, your BCD and DS all inflate/deflate, nothing is leaking, you can deploy the long hose and nobody has forgotten any important things.

Back
Top Bottom