How easy is it to move around second stages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

layday

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm investing in my first set up. I'm going for BP&W. Now, it looks like switching out single tank and double tank wings is easy enough. However, I'm wondering about my regulator set up. I would like to get just a double set up and just put the both second stages onto a first stage if I want to do a single tank. Is this something I can do myself? Is it safe to do myself? It looks relatively uncomplicated from youtube videos but I would like some better opinions. It would be very convenient to just buy two firsts and two seconds and be able to pop both seconds on a single first if I need it.

Please let me know any thoughts you have or anything else that I may not be taking into account.

Best, layday

You can do it yourself, it is easy, it is safe. Just go slowly, be careful, keep everything clean. Use wrenches that fit, change o-rings if needed, or maybe even always use a new one. Don't lose the port plugs.

Great news, thanks!

You could also put an H valve on your single tanks...then you don't really need to change anything on your doubles regs.

I have a standard set of regs that I use for single tank diving with a BP/W. When I do a tech dive using doubles I juggle in another 1st stage, LPI hose and long hose then I'm good to go, its a simple switch. My process here is a little more complicated as for single tank set up I have my regs in yoke as thats the standard tank valve out here for recreational and I fully convert the reg to DIN when switching it to tech, again it takes about 5 mins, I use Scubapro MK 25s. It actually takes me longer to take off the cam bands and nuts from my single set up on my BP/W and bolt it on to a set of twins.

Always make yourself as informed as you can and ideally try to find someone to go through it with you if possible.

Hey everyone,

I'm investing in my first set up. I'm going for BP&W. Now, it looks like switching out single tank and double tank wings is easy enough. However, I'm wondering about my regulator set up. I would like to get just a double set up and just put the both second stages onto a first stage if I want to do a single tank. Is this something I can do myself? Is it safe to do myself? It looks relatively uncomplicated from youtube videos but I would like some better opinions. It would be very convenient to just buy two firsts and two seconds and be able to pop both seconds on a single first if I need it.

Please let me know any thoughts you have or anything else that I may not be taking into account.

Best, layday

If you can't screw it on with your fingertips easily, you are probably cross-threading it. So stop, and back it out.

Yes, changing hoses around is very simple. Just take your time and keep things clean. Finger tight and then snug it up with a wrench. Remember that it is sealed by the o-ring and not how tight it is.

I change mine around somewhat frequently as I switch between backmount and sidemount. I'm too cheap to buy extra regulators, I guess. That part of the reg is totally "user serviceable." I'm not a service tech, or even a tech diver.

Although I did read a story on scubaboard of some LDS who ostracized their customers for doing this very thing. I guess they didn't like being in business and figured they had enough of a local monopoly to support their opinion. If you live in a rural area and have only one dive shop nearby for service, just don't mention it to them in case they're of a similar ilk.

You can do it yourself, it is easy, it is safe. Just go slowly, be careful, keep everything clean. Use wrenches that fit, change o-rings if needed, or maybe even always use a new one. Don't lose the port plugs.

Sage advice indeed....especially on the o-rings and not losing the port plugs, those little buggers will get away from you every time!

Back
Top Bottom