Crossed over to scuba from another type of activity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was wondering if their are certain activities which have a higher percentage of crossing over into scuba.

For instance I like surfing, I found that it was a natural tendency for me to wonder what it would be like to scuba. While on calm days waiting for waves I would find myself looking down during really nice viz conditions at the sea life.

I wonder if their are other activities or sports that tend to have certain people cross over into Scuba.

What got you into scuba ? Would you consider yourself a cross over diver?

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear Dive Mounts

Obviously snorkeling. I snorkeled since childhood but moving to the coast got me into scuba. Otherwise it wasn't worth the bother.

Not really a crossover for me.. just fascination with the marine environment and the inhabitants :)

When I was a boy, my brothers and I would snorkel until we literally turned blue. Always loved being underwater, but the stars didn't align so that I scuba certified when I was young. When I got a good excuse for taking the cert well into middle age, I jumped at it an grabbed the chance with both hands.

I've been a snow skier, swimmer, windsurfer but none of those got me to cross over. I wasn't much of a snorkeler but was doing it as part of a day trip to Chichen Itza. We stopped at Xhel-ha and went snorkeling on the way back to Cancun. I came out of the water knowing that snorkeling wasn't enough for me. As soon as I got home I signed up for lessons. The rest is history. . .oh, and I've never been back to Cancun and won't ever be again unless it's in transit. :)

Snorkeling. Predominantly from the shore out as far as I felt comfortable while on every family vacation for the past 20 years. Aruba and kuaui are especially good for this. Could do it for hours at a time.

Not sure its a crossover for me, but Reef Aquariums! But I always wanted to dive, just never had the funds, so I snorkeled.. Then I got my OW cert in college (and funds still kept me from diving). So I got into reef aquariums as a crutch (lol, with what I spent on them I coulda been diving years earlier). Just a total fascination with the life and colors under the surface..

Not exactly a crossover for me, but more like a very deep dive. I used to fly a hang glider and loved the freedom and joy of being thousands of feet up in the air. I had to give it up for a number of reasons about 25 yeears ago. Then four years ago started snorkelling, which led to getting OW certification last March. I wish I had done it a long time ago. I get the same kind of thrill and exhilaration from scuba as I did from hang gliding. I don't know if there is an element of being attracted to high risk sports...I'm terrified of rock climbing (which because of a physical disability I couldn't do now anyway) and I never tried sky diving, preferring to get into the sky and then stay there, but I loved skiing when I was young. I am also a nature lover...40 years of birding...so being able to explore and see another part of nature is compelling.

Knew a couple of fishermen who became scuba divers to see what they were after. One became a spearo, but the other was fascinated by what he saw and stopped fishing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom