Lost 40lbs, need to change BP from SS to AL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My dive setup is a SS backplate, 12L AL tank, 3mm full body wetsuit and no added weight. I'm nicely balanced this way and have dove this way for the last 6 years. I like the SS plate because it also gives me nice trim. This year, I finally decided to get healthy again and i've dropped 40lbs (200lbs to 160lbs). I've been working out and most of the loss has been muscle. My gut has gone from 43" to 31". How much will I be overweight in a SS plate? I'm going to Palau for a 2 week live aboard trip in a month, and won't have the opportunity to do a weight check before my trip. I've had to get a brand new 3mm wetsuit, so + buoyancy that its new, but - buoyancy as its smaller than my previous one.

Should I buy an AL plate, so I can adjust my weights? Or stick with the SS and hope not to be too unbalanced.

Normally body weight isn't a big part of the equation, it's more the larger the person the larger the exposure protection and thusly more lead needed. For your case as you've changed wetsuits and lost considerable body fat, the best alternative for you is yes, get an AL plate, you can always add/ remove a couple of kilos. I think you'll be overweighted with a SS plate. Luckily they can be cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference between steel and aluminum plates is at most around 4 lbs. At worst you would be 4 lbs. overweighted. Such precision in weighting is over-rated, in my opinion. For example, if you carry a flashlight/torch or not is going to change your weighting from dive to dive. As your new wetsuit loses buoyancy over the years, you're going to lose whatever precision weighting you originally had. Plus or minus 4 lbs. is close enough as far as I'm concerned.

Should I buy an AL plate, so I can adjust my weights? Or stick with the SS and hope not to be too unbalanced.

Why speculate? Can you borrow an AL BP? Try it out in a pool or check your buoyancy with the SS BP in a pool. If you've dove in fresh and salt water you should know the weight difference. Then apply that difference and your experience in the pool to come up with a reasonable guesstimate on whether you'll need an AL BP or stay with the SS BP.

Like has been previously stated, difference between a SS and AL plate is at most 4lb. I would just keep the rig the way it is, especially with a new wetsuit.

Congrats on the weight loss and unless you are just looking for an excuse for new gear keep your rig. I think it unlikely but after you dive it, if you feel overweighted, then buy the al plate.

My dive setup is a SS backplate, 12L AL tank, 3mm full body wetsuit and no added weight. I'm nicely balanced this way and have dove this way for the last 6 years. I like the SS plate because it also gives me nice trim. This year, I finally decided to get healthy again and i've dropped 40lbs (200lbs to 160lbs). I've been working out and most of the loss has been muscle. My gut has gone from 43" to 31". How much will I be overweight in a SS plate? I'm going to Palau for a 2 week live aboard trip in a month, and won't have the opportunity to do a weight check before my trip. I've had to get a brand new 3mm wetsuit, so + buoyancy that its new, but - buoyancy as its smaller than my previous one.

A neutral diver using a 3mm suit and the more common buoyant al 80 cuft tanks often need about 8 lbs of ballast, about 4 lbs to sink their 3mm suit, and about 4 to offset the buoyant cylinder when empty.

A typical SS plate and harness is about -6 lbs and your reg is about -2 lbs.

With other cylinders, neutral aluminum or negative steel tanks the SS plate can overweight the diver.

I'd research the buoyancy of the cylinders you will actually be using on your up coming trip before buying more gear.

Tobin

I doubt the loss is muscle if you are working out and eating right the loss will be fat because your body will burn it first for energy. You will have actually have gained muscle mass from working out ( i am assuming that your are eating healthier too). Good job on the getting in shape! i myself have started that journey and have lost about a third of my goal (started at 225 lbs want to be 175-180 lbs currently at 205 lbs).

I am 175 to 180 pounds (on a good day) and use 6 pounds with a ss plate al80 and 3mm wetsuit. Try it first or borrow an al plate before buying.

I doubt the loss is muscle if you are working out and eating right the loss will be fat because your body will burn it first for energy. You will have actually have gained muscle mass from working out ( i am assuming that your are eating healthier too). Good job on the getting in shape! i myself have started that journey and have lost about a third of my goal (started at 225 lbs want to be 175-180 lbs currently at 205 lbs).
oops, i meant to say most of the weight lost was fat! Eating much healthier too, blood pressure has dropped from 150/110 to 110/70. Blood cholesterol went from 290 to 180. I feel great, i have lots more energy, i sleep better at night, to my GF's delight i've stopped snoring. The real question though, is "have i lowered my SAC"?

---------- Post added November 16th, 2015 at 11:03 AM ----------

Thanks for the advice. Question, my change in my body mass/composition does not enter your analysis at all. Does dropping 40lbs not significantly change my body's bouyancy? My body composition has changed from ~35% body fat, to ~15%, so in theory there should be an average density change.

I'll ask about cylinders, but in my SEA tropical diving experience, it will either be a 12L AL tank or a 15L. I'm thinking of renting a 15L, but will ask.

A neutral diver using a 3mm suit and the more common buoyant al 80 cuft tanks often need about 8 lbs of ballast, about 4 lbs to sink their 3mm suit, and about 4 to offset the buoyant cylinder when empty.

A typical SS plate and harness is about -6 lbs and your reg is about -2 lbs.

With other cylinders, neutral aluminum or negative steel tanks the SS plate can overweight the diver.

I'd research the buoyancy of the cylinders you will actually be using on your up coming trip before buying more gear.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom