A deceptively easy way to die

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it bad that after seeing this I wanted to learn to cave dive? Watched it several months ago and man it was scarier than some movies hollywood puts out today!

I watched it and it did make me think about my limits. Cave diving looks exciting but it does have its dangers for the unwary.

Lamar put that video together a few years ago to show just how bad it can get.
I got stuck in a side tunnel at Ginnie a few years ago. Computer download showed it was only for 5 minutes. But it felt like 30 minutes.
Old saying:
A minor restriction is when your buddy is stuck.
A major restriction is when your stuck. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is required viewing in my OW class. I also recommend it to all advanced students. Like to see an updated version with better resolution and it be required viewing for all OW classes with every agency.

Is it bad that after seeing this I wanted to learn to cave dive? Watched it several months ago and man it was scarier than some movies hollywood puts out today!

In some ways, that is exactly why this video was made and continues to be shown... even though several of us including Lamar think it due for an update! :wink:

As a member of the cave diving community, and as a cave instructor, I wanna thank you for your assessment! Very cool! LOL!

Stay safe.

It is required viewing in my OW class. I also recommend it to all advanced students. Like to see an updated version with better resolution and it be required viewing for all OW classes with every agency.

I think that would be a good idea to hammer the message home although you will always still get the "it won't happen to me" brigade.

Cave diving can kill fully equipped, experienced and well trained people so your chances as an untrained, ill equipped and inexperienced diver are slim (you might get lucky a few times)

Deceptively easy? Most adults would see the danger instantly.

Required viewing? Why, to scare someone out of something 99.9% of them would never consider?

SB needs a new forum - Instructor FUD for Masochists!

This doesn't belong in Basic Scuba. Is there a follow-on of the risks of 300ft dives on air?

Deceptively easy? Most adults would see the danger instantly.

Required viewing? Why, to scare someone out of something 99.9% of them would never consider?

SB needs a new forum - Instructor FUD for Masochists!

This doesn't belong in Basic Scuba. Is there a follow-on of the risks of 300ft dives on air?

It's "Basic Scuba" for people who live in, say, Florida and are likely to find themselves looking curiously into a cavern entrance at some point.

Back
Top Bottom