Who does NOT log their dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Some friends and I had this conversation this past weekend.Some said that they dont log there dives any more. I have been diving for 4 years, I work as a DM for a local shop and I log every dive.I even use the back of the log sheet to write stuff on! So my question is how many of you do/dont log your dives?

Max.BT

It seems that logging would be a good thing, especially for a DM if you were to move to another dive shop at some point. I log just to keep a record, but then I keep my pay stubs and bills all year too. If you were never going to go past OW or AOW and you had been diving for years, maybe you see no sense in it. I guess it's just personal preference. I like to be able to see trends, as far as water temp for a given area, how much air I use, how well I did lobstering at a certain place, etc.

I believe in logging every DIVE - every person has a different meaning of that word. If I've been in the openwater 20min +, I count that as a dive. If not for that length of time, I'll put in a journal entry, but don't count as a dive or bottom time.

As jobowker pointed out, I would want to know info about the year before, where I dove, temps for that week, month (maybe that doesn't matter if your a warm water diver) fish or other things seen,surface and water conditions and so on.... IMO that is all important information.

Where in Ontario are you from Max? :cool:

track my dives for me. If they say that my dive was only 8minutes, but to 90 feet, that's "OK" by me. I do not keep records for others... only for myself.

Yeah, your right NetDoc, I forgot to mention a decent depth. I would record that as well. What I was getting at was I know a DM who helped us occasionally when I got certified - he logged his pool time as a dive. Maybe thats not unheard of, but doesn't count to me.

I log it all. Even do cheap sketchs of wrecks, so if/when I return, I know what to expect where. Besides, they're great reading over a beer during a long, cold, winter night.

I log all open water SCUBA dives. Pool sessions do not count and in my opinion are only logged to pad the numbers of your log. Lake, ocean, lobstering and such I log. I have logged dives at 20 feet for 20 minutes before. Special circumstances, though. I was being paid to find a lost object.

as a DMC (Dive Master Candidate) to log my pool time as dives. It is (for most DMCs, & DMs) an unselfish time where we are helping others out, so I don't see it as "unreasonable". In fact, I know of two instructors who follow the DAN rule... if you breathe on compressed air under the water then it is a dive. I choose to make my 100 dives for my DM certification "real dives". I was able to dive a lot that year, and easily exceeded the required number. Hmnnnn, I was in much better shape too, go figure! I have never logged pool check out dives for others or for new gear, and I even delete them from my Cobra database.

Walter, however, has the BEST KEPT log book I have ever seen... or ever hope to see. I think he gets the names of not only who he is diving with, but the fishies and the waitress at the end of diving meal too... Of course, he gets her phone number as well... :tease:

Until I decided to do my DM and Instructor course I considered keeping a log a waste of time. Skipped logging about 250 dives in that time. I had only logged dives for certifications, so I had to start my log book again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom