bouyancy control tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
When making an ascent without reference to up-line, anchor-line, lift-bag line or bottom contour it is helpful to focus your attention on stuff in the water.

If you are so unfortunate as to do all your diving in those locales cursed with unlimited visibility and gin clear water this won't work for you... sorry.

But for those blessed with diving in a living soup the stuff is not only an excellent adjunct to bouyancy control but is very interesting to observe as well.

Here in the PNW we are so blessed. Little critters abound in the water column and happily spend their time cavorting around within a small area... usually neither ascending nor descending. Taking time to watch one will almost insure that you are neither ascending nor descending as well. This makes holding stops not only fun but more automatic.

To enhance my enjoyment of this hang time I made an underwater magnifier. I have posted pictures here in the Do It Yourself forum.

"If you are so unfortunate as to do all your diving in those locales cursed with unlimited visibility and gin clear water this won't work for you... sorry."

Some how I think i can manage another day being "cursed" in such a way, lol ...

Neat idea though UP

Darlene

Uncle Pug:
If you are so unfortunate as to do all your diving in those locales cursed with unlimited visibility and gin clear water this won't work for you... sorry.
This technique works well even in 150'+ viz places like Maui and Cozumel. You just have to work a bit harder and make a conscious effort to spot the little specks of stuff floating in the water.

Good buddy awareness will also help damp out variations in depth while doing a blue water stop.

Uncle Pug:
Clear water gets boring. I enjoy the pulsing light shows of the ctenophores among other mid-water dwellers.

You should dive in the lake I do checkout dives and practise in :11: Pea Soup :11: Dead as a Dodo :11:

Great idea with the Magnifier, Out comes the Silicone!!!!

Uncle Pug, I prefer to "fly by instruments" and therefore watch my digital depth gauge, with occasional reference to the "stuff in the water." (Two Of Everything, by the way, as in one Suunto digital depth gauge and one other Uwatec digital depth gauge.)

If my depth decreases one ft every onethousandone-onethousandtwo then I know I am ascending at 30 ft per minute, and my offgassing is at the maximum safe rate, between deep stops and my 15 ft stop.

Don't you agree? Old friend??

But how will you know you're ascending fast until the depth display catches up and tells you? That's not a good way to do it, is it?

There's nothing like a direct visual reference in the water. Keeping your eyes planted on a gauge that only tells you when you've moved an entire foot doesn't do a thing for you. It's hard to get that display to change once every two seconds (or once every 3 seconds, or once every 4 seconds) to properly time your ascent.

Flying by an instrument is crap.

jonnythan:
There's nothing like a direct visual reference in the water. Keeping your eyes planted on a gauge that only tells you when you've moved an entire foot doesn't do a thing for you. It's hard to get that display to change once every two seconds (or once every 3 seconds, or once every 4 seconds) to properly time your ascent...
Seems to change fine. Especially when there are 2 of them and they agree. Remember, Two Of Everything?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom