What Attracted you In the First Place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brizzolatti

Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering this today because somebody asked me why I was taking up diving: so what made you think you would like to dive in the first place?

I don't really know why except that I love swimming underwater in a pool and I'm captivated by the ocean. It's like a mysterious inexplicable pull.

Maybe it's because I'm a Pisces!!

Maybe it's because I'm a Pisces!!
Funny - That is the first thing I thought of when I saw the subject for this thread - because I am pisces! I've always loved to swim (although I refuse to swim at the beach unless the water is above 80 degrees).

Also, I think what drew me to diving was curiosity and the love of adventure that can come along with diving - exploring uw realms, wrecks, etc.

I wonder...maybe we can do a poll to see if divers tend to be more of one sign (water :) ) or another.

Adventure.....Exploration.....do a sport that everyone's curious about and most have not done.

Sagitarious

I grew up around the ocean and always enjoyed the water. I finally took up SCUBA when some friends did more as something to do than any other reason. Now I'm the biggest die hard in the group and they haven't been diving in a year or so.

Scott:(

I love water sports, love the ocean, love films - to me being underwater is like watching an imax film but better!

Aries.

I don´t seem to follow the trend...

I really never liked the water that much. Every time I went to the beach when I was little, I didn´t want to get into the water because it always felt so cold to me...

I can swim... but that doesn´t mean that I like swimming.

I love watching marine life though. I´ve always had aquariums since I was little. After college, I moved on to propagating soft coral in my saltwater aquarium.

It was my dad that "forced" me to try a resort course out here in Cozumel a year and a half ago. I really didn´t want to go, but heck, dad was goign to be there! Turns out, he chickened out and I went alone with the instructor.

Cold? You betcha!!! I only had my swimsuit and a t-shirt over it. Our dive was 70 min. They carried me out of the water because I was too cold to walk out (My fault entirely! The instructor kept asking if I was cold or not... I kept saying no! LOL) But that first resort course dive from shore, I saw 2 eagle rays, all sorts of little crabs, shrimp, big fish, small fish, starfish, rays etc.etc... I was HOOKED!!!

Of course, it took plus or minus 30 dives before I could actually backroll without someone giving me a shove. I still always feel the horror of hitting the cold water before backrolling. BUT, my love of diving and swimming among all the marine life, in another universe so different from the dry land that we live on... has overcome my dislike of being in cold water.

Then of course, I decided to take some time off and move and live in Cozumel for a while... So, now I am truely an obsessed diver... obsessively diving!!!

So, who is going to bring a drysuit down here to Cozumel for me???

Achu

Back
Top Bottom