Where to attach a snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmlavoie

Registered
Reaction score
I want to keep a snorkel for safety so it can be used when I go back to the surface.

Could someone explain me where and how it should be attached to the BC during the dive?

Thanks

Because it can be an entanglement hazard you don't wan tto have somewhere on your bc where it would snag or get hung up on things. Obviously attached to your mask wouldn't be good, it interfers with the long hose. I have seen divers place it under the harness back towards the tank so it is stowed and out of the way. but i think the best option would be to get one of those folding snorkels and put it in your pocket.

I personally just breath from my reg, as if I had no emergencies during the dive and had proper gas management, then I should have pleanty of air in my tank to breath from if the surface conditions were a little more than just wavey.

I don't generally take a snorkel with me unless I know it's going to be a long surface swim, but I have seen people strap it to their leg like you would a knife.

There are flexable snorkels that roll up nowdays that you could stuff in a pocket. Dont really know why you would want one though. Are you diving Hogarthian style, or just wondering about it? As this is a "DIR forum" -- it might not be aproprate to post this question here, as most "divers" here dont use snorkels. If you are than have at it. Just watch out for the Trolls...

Straped to the leg that a good idea. As long as it is safe.

IF you wear a leg knife, slide it under the straps that hold the sheath, intake (top) down. I use the old type, non-flexible snork, and all I have to do is reach down and grab the mouthpiece (looks like a hook) and pull it out.

SueMermaid:
I don't generally take a snorkel with me unless I know it's going to be a long surface swim, but I have seen people strap it to their leg like you would a knife.

I don't believe that would be DIR to have it strapped to the leg as it would be an entanglement hazard.

JPBECK:
Straped to the leg that a good idea. As long as it is safe.
A "safe entanglement hazard"? Interesting concept.

Kinda like fuzzy handcuffs.

Wendy:
I don't believe that would be DIR to have it strapped to the leg as it would be an entanglement hazard.

Yea, so would the leg knife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom