DAN or PADI Diver Protection Program?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guillermo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

As someone fairly new to SCUBA; I have been reading about the importance of medical insurance since most insurers won't cover diving related injuries, and also that despite following proper procedures, you might end up with some trouble that may be quite expensive.

I was wondering what are the differences between DAN and the PADI Diver Protection Program. I have heard a lot about DAN but wanted to know some specifics about their program, and also about the PADI Diver Protection program, which seems something that is offering similar things as DAN.

Any help would be appreciated in order to make an informed decision.

Thanks!

Guillermo

We had an excellent thread about Dive Insurance recently. Included was a very good response from DocVikingo about why you should have insurance and what the different insurance agencies have to offer.

Click Here to jump to the thread.

Have you been to DAN's website www.DiversAlertNetwork.org ? I don't know anything about the PADI program but you WILL want some sort of insurance. DAN Insurance Programs cost $54 American for the Standard Plan, $64 American for the Master Plan and $99 American for the Preferred Plan. The website should have specifics about the programs.

Hope this helps :)
Ber :bunny:

I was looking at both of the policies for DAN and Padi.
After reading the thread that TexasMike posted above, I decided to go with the preferred plan from DAN.

Now the preferred plan is kind of new. So a few weeks ago I was going to go with Padi, since they based everything on a per incident and not lifetime benifit. Since that changed I changed my mind and went with DAN.

Good luck with your choice it was tough for me to decide. But I think I made the correct choice for me anway.

Good Luck,
Ted

I have a similar story - Dive Insurance was just one of those things I forgot about after OW cert. After reading the above thread - and the DAN and PADI websites - I decided to go with DAN too. Good luck with your research!!

Thanks for the information, it was definitely very helpful. I decided to go for DAN.
Thanks to everyone!
Guillermo.

I've had DAN coverage since I got certified. I didn't really give it much thought, just kept the minimum Standard plan year after year. Untill the summer of 2000 when 5 of my friends spend time in the chamber in Cozumel as a result of freaky currents, through no fault of their own. All 5 had DAN insurance. When all the reports were in, the costs were astronimal yet the people involved paid very little of those expenses, even the ones not involving the chamber itself. I promptly upgraded to the Preferred plan and cheerfully write my check every year.

I signed up with the DAN plan. Padi Im sure has a fair plan, but DAN is specifically intended for Diver safety whereas PADI is all over the board so far as the services they provide.

Back
Top Bottom