Extended Surface Intervals...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey all,

Well a situation has presented itself that requires that I be out of the water for a month or so. (I dropped a tank on my foot and it's broke ;-0 ). I have the DIR book coming (or it's here already) and I will read that. Any other books/videos that YOU might think are essential reading? Of course, you don't have to anything as drastic as this to read any of these books. I guess it's just my way of slowing down...

you could read the OSHA safety manuel on how to handle compressed air tanks? :tease: No recommendations, just a "Get Well Soon" Sorry to hear that your foot is broken. ;-( Hope you're on your feet and back diving soon! :tree: Bob

The Tech 1 and Cave 1 books make for interesting reading. Have you read all the bubble mechanics stuff by Maiken, Baker, Yount, Weinke, and Hamilton? If you want to see drastic improvements in how you feel after a dive, get to know this stuff. It'll take ya month or so just to comprehend it (it's taken me a year, and I still don't get the real guts of it all).

I hear Weinke has a new book out. I haven't read it yet, but I can get you the info if you want.

Good luck to ya,

Mike

Weren't you going for your NAUI instructor rating? You could always get your books for that and get a head start on your lectures, etc.

Hope the foot heals quickly! You should have taken some photos to show your OW classes :wink:
Ber :bunny:

I admit I am of no help, but I just wanted to tell you to heal quick and get back in the water.

Good Luck

Chad

In addition to your standard manuals for whatever courses you're taking with your agency, here are what I consider some basic diving/tech diving library requirements - or their equivalents...
A Blueprint for Survival - Exley
Deeper into Diving - Lippman
NSS-CDS Cavern diving manual
NSS-CDS Cave Diving Manual
Cave Diving communications - Prosser/Grey
Basic underwater cave surveying - Burge
Technical Diver Encyclopedia - Mount
NOAA Diving Manual
US Navy Diving manual
Humann's complete Reef series (don't forget "Behavior")
Regional Fish ID book (for me that's Shipp's Guide to the Fishes of the Gulf of Mexico)
Dangerous Marine Creatures - Edmonds
The current edition of the Travelin' Divers Chapbook
Rick

Bob; you're killing me. Too funny!

Stone: I read that at your recommendation last year... VERY good stuff. I also read the Oxy Hacker's Bible.

Walter; I never thought it very important... till yesterday around 4:00.

All; I think the NOAA manual gets the nod... after I finish the DIR book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom