Logs - Do you or don't you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDunk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Since I first stumbled onto this board earlier this week, I've seen a few threads realted to logging dives that made me curious. Do you diligently log all of you dives or not - and why?
I've been diving for several years at several places around the world and, except for the few initial dives during and immediately after getting my card, I don't log dives. I'm a recreational diver and plan my dives and stick to the plan. I keep track of a trip's dives for planning purposes but once the trips is over I don't keep a log or other record. Should I be? am I missing something? Once I started diving on my own I just didn't seet the point.

Steve

Some people log every dive, some get tired of it after their 500th dive. A lot of variation in between. Personally, I like keeping log of all my dives as a sort of diving diary, which I can flip through when I hit my 500th dive and get all nostalgic and such.

Some agencies require "verifiable" (sp) dives for training, technical being one.

Other than for something like that, its totally a personal decision. I log dives to keep track of what mix I used, equipment configuration, weight changes, etc.

Have to admit to have stopped keeping a log book a decade ago. Now I just log dives that have something REALLY unique that I will want to visit again.

I tend to agree with Mech.
I've logged all of the flights I've ever made and all of the dives I've ever made.
Used as a database of historical information, one can learn a great deal about one's progress in the sport.
Using data recorded and knowing other things, such as one's SAC, once can detect changes in one's physiology, changes in diving practices and a host of other observations.
Plus it's a great way to go back and remember.
I suppose I could post excerpts from one of my log entries regarding a rather attractive redheaded diver on one of my excursions, but that's another thread . . !!!

I have logged them all, but that is only about 50 so far since last november.

I log stuff about my configuration, general site conditions and site notes. I also note things like SAC (glad it still on the way down) and weighting as i am finding as my SAC drops so is my weighting requirement, i should have those numbers nailed soon enough for various conditions and sites, and then of course i will have new tanks soon, maybe some new wetsuit or drysuit and the fun starts again!

I find my notes are useful when i go back to the same sites though.

I log all my dives (600+) as I like looking back occassionally. It reads like a diary. & helps with weighting and configuration when changing the type of diving. Warm vs cold, salt vs fresh, drysuit vs 1/4" vs 7mil vs 3 mil and such.

I also like my logs as I'm able to use the notes from previous dives to the same site / wreck. Layout of the wreck, unique facts and artifacts, things to watch out for. Headings to artifacts not lying on the wreck itself. I'm also a bit of a history nut so I write down facts about the wreck and it's demise as well.

Paula

I log every dive, but I only have about 75 total. It's a habit developed from OW although every now and then, it is nice to look back and see what I've done or how I've improved. I make notes about new creatures I've seen or funny things that happened. It also helps me remember how much weight to use if I haven't been diving in a few months.

I have also heard that some dive resorts/liveaboards want to see proof of your most recent activity...

astrl

Forgot to mention, i usually only write one days worth of diving on a page, every dive on a single page would take up much more room.

Last time i dove with Walter he had this hardback large book, about letter sized with lots of pages and was noting the dives in that, i think the PADI type log books are kind of limited by their attention to details you might not use.

Hi, I'm one that also logs every dive (27 to date) I'm certified with SSI so it's quite useful for advanced training certs. I also use a great dive log program on my PDA which I download all my dives into. Like it has been mentioned also, it's a great way to see your advancements in air consuption, weight displacement, and bottom time. weather conditions, locations, and just a record to always look back on.

Juan

Back
Top Bottom