Getting ready to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Having fun doing pool sessions for my DM course - a-r-r-g for the necessary evil of the classroom stuff (I know it's important and I am learning stuff, but let's go diving).

Anyway just thought I'd pass along a couple of funnies :D from the session last night.
1) the surface of the pool bottom gives a whole new meaning to "rug burn" (or is that pool burn). I normally just don a shortie to keep warm in the long session, but being on the knees for almost the entire time ouch. I think I'll try my skin for the next session.

2) although I remove jewelery (just a habbit so I don't wear the shiny stuff where it might be interpreted as a lure by something that bites), I leave in stud earrings. Well last night was perhaps the last time for that! I was doing a demo for something, and somehow the post of one earing got caught my BCD, another ouch!

You live and learn, and learn, and learn. . .

We take our students to a heated pool and I don't need a wetsuit. In fact, the times I've worn one to prevent pool rash, I overheated. So now, I just use knee pads! Regular old pads from the sporting goods store. They may look funny but they sure do work! Just remember to put them on before your fins :goofy:

Thanks Dee - never thought of pads. I have a set at home, but they're pretty grimy from the garden, so I'll get another set.

Yet another great piece of scuba equipment from the hardward store.

The more time you spend teaching, the more you realize how vital good exposure protection is: not only from a warmpth perspective, but from a scratch/hurt/scrap/bruise/et al viewpoint.

We have a couple of custom suits that are now almost 7 years old. As it happens, both Pearce & I have had to had patching put in the seat area (is there a pattern here?:wink: ) And one zipper replaced. But basically, they are still in pretty good shape. DEFINITELY not ratty looking, although they are getting a bit faded. Originally, they cost us $250 CDN each.

Anyways, they are FULL 1/8" suits. Other than the measured fit, the other "custom" aspect about them are: (1) a large pocket on one thigh to hold teaching slates; (2) zippered ankles (3) 1/4" neoprene from the knee to just above ankle on the front of each leg.

I can't tell you how many times that little extra bit of padding has come in handy. Not only for sitting on your knees with students, but also in regular diving situations.

A full suit (about 3mm) makes more sense to me than knee pads & a shorty.

Dee, I can't believe you can be in a pool so long & not need some kind of exposure protection. Unless the pool is 98F, you're still going to lose body heat. You must have lava in your veins, girl!!!
:whoa:

BTW, I *still* wind up with umpteen bruises when scuba, even if it's just in the pool. Sometime I don't know which is worse for bruises: mtn biking or scuba. :wink:

~SubMariner~

Sub, I think you have that backwards! You wear a drysuit in 78 degree water :)

SubMariner,

In June, on the 3rd Tuesday of the month, when water temp is 78.5 deg, is when the pond scum spores. Dee and I have been studying this for years and we have always used either a shortie or a Diveskin. 3 mil full wetsuit is way to confining when you are taking samples and photos.

Don & his 37 friends

I did start with a full suit doing stuff in the pool, but I get too warm. Baring leaving zippers undone, and going commando, I figured a shortie is my best bet. So far so good.

You "California" types are the ones with body temp problems. Last year when I went for some dives when in San Diego, I got a real chuckle with my fellow divers on the charter suiting up in dry suits, and 7mm! Water temp was high 60's - I put on my 3/2 (no hood) and found myself quite comfortable. Although I think I almost gave the boat's DM a heart attack when I confirmed that was how I was going to dive. He was re-assured (somewhat?)when I reminded him that I was from Canada, and the temp was warm.

Bio Guy,
Yes on purpose, Dee & I have cataloged over 80 distinct and different varities of pond scum. The most prolific being the bright green variety (Chartreuse Scumus), as it can spread to cover a 10 acre pond in about 3 days, depending on the air temp. July, at 105 deg (typical here in Oklahoma & Texas), you can almost watch it spread.

Thought you'd like to know

Don

SubMariner,
I'm going to have to vote for the Mountain Bike. I ride mine at night through the canyons around here and take the occasional spill. I have a tricked out GT LTS Thermoplastic framed full suspension beast with full XTR etc. Every time I scratch it it breaks my heart! ;-0

I too suffer from pool burn on my knees from teaching in a shortie. Anything more than that 2/1 Oneill is pure torture. I'm constantly hot. Though not hot enough to wear a 3/2 on an ocean dive out here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom