SDI vs. PADI ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PKeigh

New
Reaction score
I am a new student in with an SDI instructor. AFTER beginning classes and searching on the internet, I realized that there are several different courses out there. My instructor had us watch a DVD, read the SDI coursework, answer the questions - then reviewed them in a brief classroom setting. We now do 4 to 6 hours of pool work, then we do 4 dives. Through looking at other dive centers on the internet (none of them close to me), it seems like I'm not doing as much classroom work as most - My question, should I be concerned? Will my certification be as accepted as a PADI or YMCA certification? Should I continue on thru another agency? SDI teaches with the aid of dive computers - is it safe to just learn relying on a computer...??? Any advice?

PKeigh:
I am a new student in with an SDI instructor. AFTER beginning classes and searching on the internet, I realized that there are several different courses out there. My instructor had us watch a DVD, read the SDI coursework, answer the questions - then reviewed them in a brief classroom setting. We now do 4 to 6 hours of pool work, then we do 4 dives. Through looking at other dive centers on the internet (none of them close to me), it seems like I'm not doing as much classroom work as most - My question, should I be concerned? Will my certification be as accepted as a PADI or YMCA certification? Should I continue on thru another agency? SDI teaches with the aid of dive computers - is it safe to just learn relying on a computer...??? Any advice?

As an instructor for both agencies (PADI/SDI) I would like to answer that.
PADI is without a doubt the largest dive training agency in the world. They claim to have 50% of the world market.
SDI on the other hand was formed out of TDI which is one of several technical diving agencies.
SDI has taken a couple of bold new approaches to dive training and as you have noticed they don't teach dive tables, mostly because dive computers are becoming so popular and inexpensive and they believe that tables will become obsolete.
The amount of training time with either agency will depend on the instructor and the method of instruction used. SDI has started using online training modules where the student can do interactive learning from the home computer. MAny PADI instructors employ prescriptive teaching where you watch a video at home in your own time and are taught lessons based on how you answer the quiz that comes with each module.
Both these methods reduce classroom time and allow the student to progress at their own pace.
Some instuctors with either agency prefer the old method of lectures, videos/slides and instructor/student interaction but that is my preference.
I guess the bottom line is the real difference is the instuctor not the agency and even though PADI has more world recognition you will find your SDI card will be recognised in as many places.

cheers,

The biggest concern I would have is not with the academics but with the pool time. Unless you are a lone studnet and are a natural I would hope you would get more than 4-6 hours....like at least twice that.

Otter:
The biggest concern I would have is not with the academics but with the pool time. Unless you are a lone studnet and are a natural I would hope you would get more than 4-6 hours....like at least twice that.
I agree, that seems like a little less pool time than I would like to see. This the course standards and all the required subject area. http://tdicanada.com/courses/sdi/openwater.pdf

cheers,

I know little about SDI, but you're not likely to get more pool time in a PADI course. I'd shop around for an instructor who devotes more time in the pool. 16 hours is ideal. SDI will be accepted, if that's your only concern.

Walter:
I know little about SDI, but you're not likely to get more pool time in a PADI course. I'd shop around for an instructor who devotes more time in the pool. 16 hours is ideal. SDI will be accepted, if that's your only concern.

How much time an Instructor puts in with h/h students in a pool has nothing to do with their Agency affiliation, but rather with their being a good Instructor. The good ones put in as much time as is required.

Being a PADI Instructor and "devoting more time in the pool" are NOT exclusive.

A student diver needs to shop for a good Instructor that spends quality time with h/h students, not one who happens to work for a particular agency.

I have been trained by both Agencies.

I took my Open Water Class in 1998 with PADI

I re-took the Open Water Class in 2003 thru SDI with my son.

My observations are the same as those above.

The PADI instructor was good, and taught the basics with a level of competency that, at the time, I thought was good in 1999.

The SDI instructor was awesome ! This guy went above and beyond to make sure that everyone in the class understood what they were supposed to do, could do it, and were comfortable with the task. We spent hours (20+) in the pool working on skills. We had one whole session on buoyancy of like 3 hours, not moving on until everyone could fin pivot and hover....

When we went to the Quarry for Open Water, it was more of the same... We did as much work on skills as we did on fin pivots, hovering, and minor task loading/problem resolution.

I have nothing bad to say about SDI or PADI, and would take many more classes with this Instructor regardless of where, or what program, he taught.

Thanks for the replies. I realize that it isn't the agency that I am concerned about, it's the instructor. Since there are only two dive shops in town, one with an SDI instructor and one PADI, the one shop could give SDI a bad name. I personally don't feel educated enough yet to get my certification card so I've decided to go thru the other local dive shop (which happens to be PADI instruction), before I do any open water diving - I may end up with two cards....

The PADI book (1999 edition, I believe) writes in the last chapter, that dive computers are taking over. However, they still make you (for PADI) learn to either use table or wheel computation. IMO, this is pretty easy. For me, the most difficult parts of the tables were (a) reading the very small print (I'm going to need bifocals soon); (b) reading in a straight line (a small transparent ruler or straightedge would have been very helpful). I can't quote from the PADI book right now, but I recall their saying that the dive computers are perfectly safe when used according to instructions.

Walter:

I teach 16-20 hrs....and I am PADI instructor....remember the key...its the instructor/shop not the agency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom