Floaters and sinkers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2godeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On another thread, someone posted:

"My experience is that NO ONE (at least those who are not really obese . . . ) is inherently bouyant."

I thought that was very interesting. In the years that I've done swimming, snorkeling, and now diving, I've always heard that some people tend to be "floaters" and others "sinkers."

What's your take?

I always loved that one... floaters... Every couple of weeks someone drowns in one of the lakes near here, and go figure, they've got to bring out dive teams to look for them. I guess they are the sinkers... Otherwise we could just pluck them off the surface.

Anytime I've got a student that complains of being a floater and needing more weight, I tell them they can have all the weight they want - but whatever we give them, they have to tread water for 10 minutes wearing it. Kinda stops them from loading up on 12 pounds to be in a pool that way!

scubatoys:
Every couple of weeks someone drowns in one of the lakes near here, and go figure, they've got to bring out dive teams to look for them. I guess they are the sinkers... Otherwise we could just pluck them off the surface.

wait a few days........

jbm

love2godeep:
On another thread, someone posted:

"My experience is that NO ONE (at least those who are not really obese . . . ) is inherently bouyant."

I thought that was very interesting. In the years that I've done swimming, snorkeling, and now diving, I've always heard that some people tend to be "floaters" and others "sinkers."

What's your take?

I disagree with the original comment....I think there are definately floaters and sinkers depending on folks body composition.

I've always been a floater.....even back when I was in HS and swimming competively 6 days a week twice a day for 2 - 3 hours at a time (needless to say, not obese in the least).....I would still finish my workout by just floating on my back....not swimming, but just laying on the top of the water with my arms out to the side, still. I would go up and down as I breathed in and out.....I would breathe a bit shallowly to make sure my mouth didn't go under. It was my quiet relaxation time.

Peace,
Cathie

scubatoys:
I always loved that one... floaters... Every couple of weeks someone drowns in one of the lakes near here, and go figure, they've got to bring out dive teams to look for them. I guess they are the sinkers... Otherwise we could just pluck them off the surface.
Makes a bit of a difference when your major air spaces fill up with water.

Bone and muscle are denser than fat. So depending on the individual there will be more or less bouyancy. Some float, some sink. I suspect the ratio of floaters to sinkers in North America has been rising at a steady pace for the last while.

glbirch:
Makes a bit of a difference when your major air spaces fill up with water.

Bone and muscle are denser than fat. So depending on the individual there will be more or less bouyancy. Some float, some sink. I suspect the ratio of floaters to sinkers in North America has been rising at a steady pace for the last while.

Fresh or Salt water?
I float in salt water.
I sink in fresh water.

In the pool with just basic scuba kit i need about 4lb to stay neutral with an empty tank.

Without scuba kit im slightly positive with half full lungs.

The only place I've been able to float for more than five seconds is the Great Salt Lake. Any place else, salt or no, with arched back, lungs full and whatever else I float for about five seconds then my feet sink, I go vertical and drop straight down.

Why does fish float when they die???

I've always heard that everyone could float. When I did my OW, however, I found that I was negative, even though I was about 20% body fat. Guess I'm a natural 'diver.' Had to cheat on the float test. I slowly worked my way to where I could just touch my toes on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom