BP/W and rescue class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hey
Just got my BP/W today and as I was putting on and adjusting straps, I was thinking about how most people on the board did not find issue with donning and doffing the rig in water.

However, I was just thinking back to my rescue class bringing a non-breathing victim back to the boat, where my instructor required us to keep one hand "glued" to the victims neck, while taking off the victim's and our equipment with one hand, administering intermittent breaths. Obviously, the one hand apprach would be impossible with a single web harness.

Just curious as to how that maneuver works with BP/W...

JAG

It's not impossable

one hand to open the buckle
pull buckle through crotch strap
push sholder straps off sholders
pull entire rig away.

Alot easer than some of the other BC's with half a dozen straps clips and bands.

In an emergency, it's a good idea to carry EMT shears....Snip, Snip, unbuckle, and the rig falls off.

In my rescue class I cheated and helped the rescuer out a little. The instructor didn't mind, recognizing that it was a little more difficult than opening a quick release.

In a R/L emergency I expect the straps to be cut. I promise I won't complain about the loss of $5 worth of webbing.

James

As far as I know, being a victim isn't a requirment for any cert...

This issue happens with some of the older style bcd's that have no quick release too (scubapro classic).

There is a technique where you reach over and grab the victims far hand. Place the hand under the strap or in the armhole, then pull it through from the other side. With the BCD it works better if it is not fully inflated. With the backplate, cut the harness if you have shears.

I dont know if this would work with a Z-Knife. Has anyone on the board tried this?

If you are buddying someone you will brief them on your kit period.Wings and backplates are not problem. When it all goes to rat****e you just do your best there is no course in the world that can prepare you for when it all goes wrong it happens so fast and you spend your time saying what if?

Jag,

Me and my bud wore BP's during our class and I assisted w/ another class were some of the students also wore them. I wouldnt have it any other way, train the way youre gonna dive right? Who cares what you wear for the class (PAID ITC) you need to know how to doff your gear anyways. Youll find that w/ a proper fit and practice you can get your rig of (even doubles) in like 3 seconds.

Its not impossible to take off a victims gear, but yes it is a bit harder, shears sound like a great alternative.

James Goddard:
As far as I know, being a victim isn't a requirment for any cert...

LOL!
I meant doing a rescue...
On saying that, I've done my fair share of being the victim. In some cases with less than stellar performers, I've drank so much seawater, it was more demanding and stressful than taking the course...

Waterdog...
"Youll find that w/ a proper fit and practice you can get your rig of (even doubles) in like 3 seconds."

That's good to hear that with practice it can be this easy...

JAG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom