PADI Certification too quick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plcmd

Registered
Reaction score
My wife enrolled in the PADI O/W class two weeks ago. On her first day they went thru the "Book". (In five hours) On her second day they went to the pool and spent an hour or so going thru the equipment set up. They then spent 5 or 6 hours in the pool. This coming weekend they are going to the lake and going to do the checkout dives. In my humble opinion this is a little fast. I got my cert in 86 and it sure seems to me like we had several classes, several pool dives and I do remember that it wasnt the second week that we went to the lake. Maybe I am blowing this out of proportion, maybe not. Do you think this is enough time to grasp the skills that are necessary to be a safe diver? I'm just having a really hard time accepting this. Any input?

Sounds too fast to me too.............call PADI. I think it takes about three wks at my LDS.

Doods, this post below mine is hilarious...........agree!!!!!!

Sadly enough, this is done all the frickin time. And then those future split-fin, poodle-jacketed, air2 and ankle-weight wearing rototillers go out and start their DM training while wondering how to put 30 pounds of lead in their BC...They dive using their air-integrated computer to plan dives, and wouldn't know a dive plan if they fell over one.

... Then they become instructors after 16 ocean dives and 84 quarry dives, with an average depth of 39 feet. And the cycle begins anew.

It's enough to bring a tear to your eye.

Boogie711:
Sadly enough, this is done all the frickin time. And then those future split-fin, poodle-jacketed, air2 and ankle-weight wearing rototillers go out and start their DM training while wondering how to put 30 pounds of lead in their BC...They dive using their air-integrated computer to plan dives, and wouldn't know a dive plan if they fell over one.

... Then they become instructors after 16 ocean dives and 84 quarry dives, with an average depth of 39 feet. And the cycle begins anew.

This is one of those rare occasions when I completely agree with Boogie 100%.

PADI's strength is in the speed with which they are willing to certify a new diver. But that is their weakness as well.

Any new PADI diver is best served taking their AOW class immediately after OW certification.

plcmd:
My wife enrolled in the PADI O/W class two weeks ago. On her first day they went thru the "Book". (In five hours) On her second day they went to the pool and spent an hour or so going thru the equipment set up. They then spent 5 or 6 hours in the pool. This coming weekend they are going to the lake and going to do the checkout dives. In my humble opinion this is a little fast. I got my cert in 86 and it sure seems to me like we had several classes, several pool dives and I do remember that it wasnt the second week that we went to the lake. Maybe I am blowing this out of proportion, maybe not. Do you think this is enough time to grasp the skills that are necessary to be a safe diver? I'm just having a really hard time accepting this. Any input?

Its been awhile since I was active, but you can do OW dives 1 and 2 before finishing the confined water, then do CW 3 & 4, then finish the OW. I know you can split them, not sure where. In other words, she may not (hopefully) be finished with confined water yet.
Regardless, 5 hours for the entire book is stretching it a bit IMO.

MD

Boogie711:

I can't decide if I should laugh or cry... the mental image... the horror...

Sounds a little fast to me. Six hours in the pool in one session? Can't imagine retaining much after the first hour or so.

plcmd:
Do you think this is enough time to grasp the skills that are necessary to be a safe diver? I'm just having a really hard time accepting this. Any input?

Depends. Was she the only student? Did she get a good grasp on the material and skills presented .... did she feel comfortable with it all?

The way i read your post, she had 5 hours of academic and 6-7 hours of pool time in two days. Pushing it maybe but for a solid student in a small class its possible.

So it depends. Why don't you go diving with her on her check out dives and decide for yourself?

gedunk:
Depends. Was she the only student? Did she get a good grasp on the material and skills presented .... did she feel comfortable with it all?

The way i read your post, she had 5 hours of academic and 6-7 hours of pool time in two days. Pushing it maybe but for a solid student in a small class its possible.

It depends. Why don't you go diving with her on her check out dives and decide for yourself?

I am going with her this weekend on her checkout dives. There were 3 people in her class. She says that she is comfortable with the class. It just really concerns me that is was so quick. I know it took me a while to learn to hover. I just dont see how they crammed it all in to a day at the pool.

plcmd:
I am going with her this weekend on her checkout dives. There were 3 people in her class. She says that she is comfortable with the class. It just really concerns me that is was so quick. I know it took me a while to learn to hover. I just dont see how they crammed it all in to a day at the pool.

I agree, it does seem fast. To get done that fast, all three students would have to be hitting on all cylinders academically and on skills. From my experience, that doesn't happen to often.

I'm glad your going with her. If your not comfortable with how she does, ask for more training, one on one instructor time if possible. Don't let them pressure you into accepting something your not comfortable with.

Mine was not only quick..2 days for the whole thing, but gross. The pool's filtering system was shutdown that day! I will spare all the details.

Back
Top Bottom