Do You Test Your Regs? Both? Every Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I try to learn from my problems and mistakes, as well as those of others, so now…

Before turning the air on, to my primary reg or my Pony, I try to breath on all three second stages – checking for inleaks.

I then turn the air on both regs, then off – to test for outleaks on the way to the dive site.

Then before leaving the boat, I try to remember to turn both systems back on and take 3 to 4 test breaths from all 3 second stages.

And on the first dive of the day, I switch from primary second stage to Pony, to stay in practice.

Any suggestions? Positive remarks about Pony Bottles only, please… :D

I would like to say yes, everytime but that's not the case. On a lot of our dives there just isn't time. But then again we check our gear daily and how many actually do that?

Bottom line is everything SHOULD be checked everytime.

Gary D.

If air temp is above freezing, then I might take a breath or two before i flop off the boat. I turn both my tanks on and refuse to let the dm touch my kit. If its a lake dive or other in freezing temps, i kit up and will only breath a reg underwater.
-g mount

Something you might add to your routine is a look at the SPG while you take a quick breath --- any fluctuation of the SPG needle indicates a partially closed valve or a clogged reg inlet filter.

Some regs, like my Atomics, have a "seat relief" feature to prevent scoring of the 2nd stage seat during storage. This lets air pass backwards through the 2nd stage when not pressurized, so what you term "inleak" check isn't valid on that type of reg. I make a habit of taking a breath off the octo during initial descent -- this tests for a messed up diaphram.

Mnemonics help. Since I started using My Friends Are Waaay Cool / Mask Fins Air Air Air Weights Computer I've avoided embarassing goofs. The Air-Air-Air section is 1) breathe off octo, 2) breathe off primary while looking at SPG, 3) hold BC inflator next to my ear and listen for a puff as I press the button (and also make sure button action is smooth).

When I set up my gear I check everything - including all regs in use. BC partially inflated & then close tap.
At dive time BC should still only be partially inflated - if it's fuller there is an inflator leak. If SPG is below 100bar befor I reopen tap then pay attention to 1st stage oring for excessive leakage.
After equipping I use the old BSAC mnemonic - Buoy (BC partially inflated), Sink (all weights in place), Air (fast sharp breath on 2nd stage while watching SPG), Clips (Crotch strap, octopus, camera, light, SPG etc clipped off)

I know a few people have posted that they managed to jump in without mask or fins. Personally I've never done that & can't even imagine the possibility. :wink:

Primary regulator and octopus are checked (while watching the SPG) before every dive. Even when there are multiple dives on one day...

I take care of my own equipment, (especially regs), so I know what's going on with them before I ever put them on a tank. I do treat them differently when diving during cold weather though, as gjmmoters as said. I keep my pony reg/octopus regs/doubles back-up regs tuned identically to my primaries. (That way there are no surprises on deep dives) One thing I do on every dive: I ALWAYS breathe off both/all regs during the dive, at all depths. This way I know what kind of performance they are giving and it also helps keep them "limbered-up". I'm glad to see so many folks here keep such a close eye on their gear! Just my opinion.
Norm

Norm:
I try to breath on all three second stages – checking for inleaks.
I then turn the air on both regs, then off – to test for outleaks on the way to the dive site.

Thanks to every one for the great tips but I was curious as to what exactly are "inleaks" and "outleaks". I have an idea but would like to make sure as I haven't heard those terms yet.

Please note that breathing your regs "on the boat" is a good thing, but you must test them as soon as you hit the water. You can have a tear in your second stage diaphragm large enough that will allow water to pour into the second stage, but small enough that breathing will still actuate the demand valve, giving that satisfying Darth Vader-like noise. So everything seems fine above water breathing off the reg, but it's unusable under water.

This is another advantage of the bungee backup vs. the octo in that the backup is YOUR air in case you have to donate, so you have a tendency to test it at the start of every dive...

The bungee backup also encourages testing because it's not stored in some claptrap device that discourages testing (because it's a PITA to re-stow).

Roak

Yes, yes, and yes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom