Divemaster Gear Exchange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scottri

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just completed my Divemaster gear exchange last night. WHooo am I tired this morning. That was a lot harder than I imagined. For those that have not been through it, we had to exchange all of our gear underwater (except wetsuits:) ) while buddy breathing the entire time. My buddy and I were almost done when she punched out and we had to do it all over again. Man what a workout! It must have been funny watching me try to put on a ladies small BC while she was trying to stay calm wearing my mens bc. I'm glad that skill is over!

Scott

Good job! Fun, wasn't it? :D

Great example of how you can handle just about anything if you are calm & comfortable with your skills.

Good luck with the rest of your course. :niceday:

~SubMariner~

Ah...I remember the gear exchange! Someone gave us a very good tip before we started....enter the water wearing each others gear to start with. That was one exciting class!

Good luck with the remainder of your class :D

I'll be getting my DM this summer. I was wondering if any of you knew the specific skills we learn?

brandon

So far my DM class has been more academic than skills. You will learn a lot about dive physics, physiology, theory, leadership. The skills portion is pretty light. It's mostly related to how you handle situations. A lot of it is rescue scenarios and such.

Scott

Scott....

Which agency?

As per Texas Mike what agency. I teach that skill in basic open water class along with bail outs and buddy breathing

PADI. I did a similar skill for OW with SSI but we did not have to share 1 reg while exchanging gear, we dumped our gear on the bottom, swam to the surface got a breath and went back down and put it all back on. For the DM class we had to buddy breathe off of one reg while taking off all of our gear and putting our buddy's gear on including BC, Mask, Fins and weight belt.

Scott

The instructor would not let us wear each others gear on the exchange - we did try!! We were of similar build but I had real difficulty with my buddies weight belt, it was a tad on the small size and I could not thread it easily through the buckle plus the buckle kept cutting me - not happy with him!!

Heigh, Ho - those were the days.....

Good luck with the rest.

Jonathan

I remember my gear swap exercise. We talked about it momentarily, and agreed to take it very slow. After all, there wasn't a time requirement.

But the best laid plans of mice and men :dotdot:
On his first two breaths, my partner in the exercise removed both of his fins, and his mask and handed them to me along with the reg to breathe! A little too much at once. And it was chaos from there on out.

Back
Top Bottom