How would you handle this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharpenu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have been a customer of my local LDS for a couple of years, having spent several thousand dollars in the store (classes, supplies and trips) I am one of the "regulars", I help with classes as an assistant (for free) and I am there ALOT.

I bought a wetsuit mail order because it was1/2 the price he had. I also bought a reg and computer for my girlfriend at another shop at a Christmas sale because they were MUCH cheaper there. Ever since he has been treating me differently.
About two months ago, I asked an employee to book a trip for me to the southern part of the state. (Boats give discounts if you book through the shop) Some of the other regulars wanted to go as well and while we were discussing it another customer overheard and thought the trip sounded fun. I suggested that the shop make it a full fledged trip. She did. The owner of the shop came to me a couple of days later and told me that I wasn't an employee and had no business scheduling trips. I told him that I had simply suggested it to the employee and if he had a problem with that, he should talk to her.

I went to get a nitrox fill and asked for 39% the owner told me I didn't need a fill that high. He gave me 32. A week later, I asked his employee for 39% and got it. (Owner wasn't around) When the owner saw that in the fill log, he pulled me aside and told me not to get that high of a fill. One of his employees told me he had been chewed out over the incident. I asked around with some of the other regulars and they told me that they regularly get 39% fills with no questions asked.

I feel that I am certified and I know my limits. I am a paying customer and I should be able to get things within the limits of my certification. I dont know if I should be bothered about this or not. Am I being too picky? There are plenty of other shops here, but I like the employees and other divers at this shop. But I want to feel like I am getting the service I deserve.

Your account gives the impression that this individual is committed to perpetuating the stereotype of the self-defeating LDS owner who is too full of himself to see that he is pushing customers away. The behaviors you describe sound like business killers given the degree of LDS saturation in Florida. Having said that, if you value the relationship with the shop and the other regulars, try taking the regulator out of your mouth and talking to this misguided soul. Also bear in mind that his information is being filtered through the staff, some of whom may have their own agendas. After having spoken with him directly on the totality of his recent behaviors, you can then better judge whether to grin & bear it, quietly move on, or directly postulate as to the paucity of marital unions in his immediate family lineage.

I would do as Allen has already suggested and talk with him but I would make sure that it was one on one... if I didn't get the response I was looking for then I would move on.

I would say try to talk it out with the shop owner. You and he both need to remember that there are lots of shops in the Orlando area.

michael

I would try and talk with the owner one on one. let him know how i felt and ask why he was reacting the way he was. and once this info was in the open. I would then decide what i would do, stay or go..
:yellow:

sounds to me like this LDS own just doesnt like you for some reason. He goes out of his way to give you a hassle. Talk to him if you like, but unless its just a misunderstanding, hes gonna continue to do it. I would find another LDS that treats you and its employees with more respect.

IMHO

TMD

I agree with the others. A private one-on-one face-to-face conversation is the best way to go. Admit to him you have bought items elsewhere and tell him why. Be specific with your complaints but don't sling blame on anyone. Speak only of what you know to be true, not here say and rumor around the shop.

Did you give him the opportunity to meet or beat the prices at the other places? That always works for me.

I go to 3 main dive shops. Each one carries a different line of gear but are all very friendly and helpful. I've been upfront with them all about pricing stuff on the internet and I always give them the chance to get as close as they can to the price. 95% of the time we reach an agreement. They give me a discount, I pay a little more but I'm supporting the LDS's. Everyone is happy.

Good luck. It bites to have to find another dive shop and start a new relationship.

You do not owe the dive shop owner a thing. You are the customer, and have the right to shop for the best price. Did you give him the opportunity to be competetive with the other stores? If not I may see where he would be upset, but he is handling it all wrong. If you want to try to work it out because of your relationship with the employees and other people then by all means go ahead. Just remember that you have spent thousands of dollars at HIS shop and he owes you more consideration. There's a saying about customer service:

It takes years to gain a customer, but only seconds to lose him.
(not an exact quote)

DiverG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom