Good and Bad weekend...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iamdoodling

Reaction score
Well, the bad news first - :(

We went on a friends boat to do a couple of dives and unfortunately I made the decision to not dive. I hadn't eaten, gotten overheated and was nauseous. Now I know I made the right decision but I was still disappointed since these would have been my first dives after OW cert. Here's what happened.

Ate a bagel/cream cheese at 9am and drove down to Monterey (a two hour drive). Suited up in our wetsuit and loaded everything on the boat. Okay so far. I had taken my seasick pill so I thought I would be okay.

Well, we were on our way to our first possible deep water dive site. Started to get a little warm but was okay. The swells were a little too big and our "captain" was concerned about the ease of getting back in the boat. As we headed for a different location what did we see (and here's the GOOD NEWS :)) 2 PODS OF KILLER WHALES. We were shocked. Right in the Monterey Bay. They were absolutely beautiful and made the whole day worth it. However we didn't get to the next dive site for quite a while and by then I was feeling like I was in a sauna.

Here is what I learned:

1. Keep my core warmer off and my wet suit only up to my waist.

2. Brings lots to drink to keep me hydrated.

3. Bring ginger snaps, saltines, banana, apple, etc. so I don't get hungry. Bad idea to eat a small breakfast at 9am and then not eat again.

and 4. (most important to me) Listen to your body. As soon as I questioned whether I should dive, I knew I shouldn't. There will be plenty of time in the future but it only takes one bad time to get DCS and I was already breaking some cardinal rules.

Hope everyone else had good weekends.

Here's to hoping that next months trip I'll be able to dive also. :D

It`s good to listen to your body. Even though you could not dive, you still learned other aspects of diving that are essential. So do not be disappointed. You got to see an Orca Pod!!

I live in Seattle, and some of the best dives are up in the San Juan Islands. After boat dives, sometimes you can see the orcas swimming by from shore (I tend to frown upon the whale chasers in the boats.

I guarantee when you enter the water next time it will be more rewarding because you listened to your body.

Happy Diving

:viking: :viking:

Sounds to me like you made very good and responsible decision :thumb: (The force is strong in this one!), and like you pointed out learned a couple valuble lessons. AND got to see a really, really,really kewl pod of orcas, wish I was there.

Chillywill

There's always next weekend! Wanna go diving??? I have a few friends, Chris and Joy, that are expecting to go shore diving with me this weekend, probably Sunday. I will quite possibly dive both Saturday and Sunday, though. I'm a rather experienced diver, but am new to Monterey's various shore diving spots. Care to get together and swim around a bit?

- Warren

good call on the dive
glad you saw the orca's it musta been a really great expernience!

Good call :thumb:

Are you aware this is a 12 year old thread???:confused:
You don't know me very well :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom