Why do my calves keep cramping with my fins on???Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lulunew2scub

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am new to scuba and just finished my 2nd confined water dive tonight and can't figure out why my calves keep cramping when I'm swimming around underwater with fins on. I've never had this problem before and am wondering what I'm doing wrong! Help please!

Lulunew2scub:
Hi Everyone, I am new to scuba and just finished my 2nd confined water dive tonight and can't figure out why my calves keep cramping when I'm swimming around underwater with fins on. I've never had this problem before and am wondering what I'm doing wrong! Help please!

This could be that you have a fin that is too stiff for you. The super stiff straight blades are usually better for people with lots of leg strength.

You should try renting/buying/borrowing a pair of split fins, which have a split down the middle running from the tip of the fin to your toes. These are usually easier on the legs but you'll have to try them out for yourself like most scuba equipment.

Good luck, and welcome to the board and the underwater world!

could be wrong size of fins, or maybe the fins are too stiff. I had the same problem and went to softer fins, and that has helped a lot. One other thing, make sure you arent dehydrated.

I am going to have to agree with the above. Many people get a fin that isn't the right size. Both in fit and in length and how stiff the fin is. I have seen some people walk into a dive shop and just think they needed the longest fins they could find. Which if your legs can't handle it then it isn't going to work out for you.

But honestly from what I have discovered the size has mostly to do with cramps in the foot. Sometimes the part of the fin that the foot slides in isn't wide enough or it is compressing the vein on the top of the foot (you can see/feel it with your hand) just above ankle height. Or sometimes if you have a high instep or wide foot it makes it worse.

So with that being said. I would make sure that you are well hydrated and have a banana or some other great source of potassium before you dive. The cramp in the calves is simply lactic acid build up. Where many camps in the foot are from low blood circulation.

Hope that helps. Good luck with it all.

Welcome to diving. Dive safe.

-Matt

To all this good advice I'd add that taking it slow can help. Try a kick, glide, kick approach and use your upper leg muscles more and your lower legs & feet less. As I read once in anther setting, think long legs . . . BE the Barbie!

Also, here are some stretches and exercises jsut for the cramping diver!

-Bryan

I also had suffered with bad leg cramps. Do a search and you will find a lot of information to help you. I did more diving, and my legs began to get stronger and used to the fins (Apollo splits). I also make sure I start drinking at least a gallon of water a day at least two days prior to the dive. I try to lay off of the caffeine becuase it is a diuretic. Eat plenty of potassium.

Lulunew2scub:
I am new to scuba and just finished my 2nd confined water dive tonight and can't figure out why my calves keep cramping...

You aren't necessarily doing anything wrong. You use different muscles when you kick, and you've added a lot of resistance to the activity (water and fins). There are different ways to accomodate this.

1. Stregthing muscles: More dives (or a new workout routine) will strengthen your calf and other leg muscles. If you dive regularly, you'll see a change in your leg stregth & work tolerance. Also, make a pre-dive stretch (slow stretch, not bouncy) part of your routine to warm-up your leg muscles.

2. Resting muscles: Add alternative kicks. Watch veteran divers and you'll see that many use different kick styles. Alternating your standard flutter kick with other kicks will rest the calves and work other muscle groups. Also, you'll be amazed at how a good breathing pattern will help resolve muscle tension. Exhale deeply, breath slowly.

3. Decreasing resistance: The suggestion to use split fins is one way of decreasing the resistance during the kick, but there are disadvantages to this. Because splits move the water off your foot differently than non-splits, they do not provide the stronger powerkick that a diver might need on occasion. In a strong current, they won't provide the same propulsion as a good pair on non-splits. Another way to reduce the resistance is to find fins with a different blade - not just a softer blade (you're back to sacrificing power in a current if you use too soft a blade). But look at the many fin designs, and you'll see differences in the way water is channeled off the blade, increasing or decreasing fin efficiency. The foot pockets of many fins also differ, and the stiffness is another variable. The previous suggestion on testing out different fins is a good idea. (Beware the bells & whistles - lots of marketing goes on to sell some silly stuff.)

4. Feed your muscles: Muscles that are well hydrated work better. Muscles that are well fed work better. A bottle of water and a banana won't create miracles, but they help. Nutrition is a long term thing, but combined with alternate kicks, predive stretching, frequent dives (or exercises), and good fins, your leg cramps should resolve on future dives.

Enjoy your dives!!!

Bananas!
and get some hinging (pivoting) fins like Mares Volos or Dacor Panthers. :wink:

Lots of good advice already. I'll go along with eponym in suggesting slowing down and relaxing. Have someone teach you the frog kick. It is a nice relaxing way to travel around under water. Execute one kick cycle and in no current you can glide several feet while not moving anything. Besides the frog kick there is the modified frog and the modified flutter kick. I really do think though that relaxing your legs and moving slowly(almost lazily) along with the other suggestions will help with the cramping calves.

Back
Top Bottom