Vibrio much more dangerous than sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
We've had some Texas coast shark attacks in the news this week, and even one Orca problem at Seaworld, but this seems a lot more to worry about...

http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/hotnews/47h279241.html

We had 7 deaths in Texas from this last year, 3 so far this year. Excerpting from that article...

Gaul said simply coming in contact with Gulf water does not mean an infection will happen. But she said people with cuts or open sores or wounds should avoid exposing them to Gulf, bay and other coastal water.

Wounds or cuts exposed to seawater should be washed immediately with soap and fresh water. Medical treatment should be sought if signs of infection, such as redness or swelling, occur or if the wound or cut is deep.

And excerpting from: http://www.scubaboard.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=644071

miketsp:
Some comments about Sea Urchins:

If the wound shows signs of infection (extreme redness, pus, swollen regional lymph glands) or a spine has penetrated deeply into a joint, the victim should be started on an antibiotic to oppose Vibrio bacteria (ciprofloxacin, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, or doxycycline).

I am not a doctor and the information provided herein should not be used for diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. It is provided for your general information and is not a substitute for medical care or supervised medical treatment. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions

thats pretty crazy, i used to surf in Corpus Christi off Bob Hall pier, all i worried about was the tirger sharks they pulled out of the water there.

Lets stay realistic. The chances of contracting the infection aren't high at all eventhough it exists. More people die in their car on way to the beach or drown swimming drunk
It is always a bad idea to go into the water when having open wounds unless you're able to clean them after or protect them before going into the water.

Hey, all I said was that it's much more common that shark deaths.

Still, it's something to thing about. If you get injured, treat it; if it gets worse, don't bluff or wait to see a doctor.

Back
Top Bottom