Ban mini lobster season.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
It's the same story every year. At the stroke midnight on mini lobster season, boats and divers go out in the search of their limit of spiney lobster before the commercial fishermen have a go at it. If the tragedy of the 14 year old is related to the lobster season, isn't it time to take a very serious look at banning this insane practice. I doubt that this will ever happen......big bucks are made by the local economy during those two days.

Just my 2 cents worth. Whar are yours????

Be safe out there!!!!
SWT

Which day would you pick to be the first day of the season?

saltwater taffy said:

It's the same story every year. At the stroke midnight on mini lobster season, boats and divers go out in the search of their limit of spiney lobster before the commercial fishermen have a go at it.

Should the commercial fisherman have priority just because they do it for a living? It seems to me that the amateurs outnumber the professionals and deserve a crack at the harvest before the pro's decimate the pool.​

If the tragedy of the 14 year old is related to the lobster season, isn't it time to take a very serious look at banning this insane practice.

I don't know about this incident so I can't comment. I think you're probably over-reaching with the "insane" comment, however.​

I doubt that this will ever happen......big bucks are made by the local economy during those two days.

Another reason the mini-season should persist. The notion that the professionals should be entitled to more privileges usually devolves out of their earnings being dependent upon their catch. If that's a valid argument, the fact that others rely upon the amateur season for their livelihoods is just as compelling.​

Be safe out there!!!!

Always a good place to start and end a conversation.​

Thank you Texas, Thank you Illinois, if you don't like the way we do things in Florida-stay home!

Actually Dennis, I now live in S. Fl enough to claim it as my permanent residence, pay taxes here and vote here. No, I don't like the way the mini lobster season is conducted. A women shooting at a boat in her canal because she didn't want them to get her lobsters, now that's insane!!! It somehow reminds me of the buffalo shoots in the wild west days......head um up....let's go get our limit. To hell with the reef, to hell with safety Yes, you should be able to go out and get your lobster during season, but why this head start?????

Once again, please be safe.
SWT

DennisS:
Thank you Texas, Thank you Illinois, if you don't like the way we do things in Florida-stay home!
Uh-oh! Hit a nerve, did I? Sorry.

While we're on the subject, I think I came down pretty much in support of the way things are being done in Florida right now, not that it matters. It's an internet bulletin board, everyone gets to have an opinion and we're all blow-hards so you fit in just fine.

One more question, though - are your lips are moving?

It wouldn't make a difference if they just started with the regular season. The first day is the first day, people will be taking off from work and going out to get lobster.

It's like the first day of deer season in Pennsylvania where some of my cousins live. Everyone takes off from work and school and goes out in the woods to shoot deer and each other.

Changing it to the first day and doing away with special limits won't change anything.
Changing the day will not protect people from their own stupidity.

It's crazy but thats the way a lot of the people that live down here like it.

The publicity over the mini-season is one thing that creates such a big draw.
California handles it a bit differently...

Opening night is midnight of the Saturday of the first weekend in October (meaning you might board your boat on September 29th and season might actually open on September 30).
Commercial operations are allowed to begin the following Wednesday, so we DO get a slight jump... and opening night boats are always packed, but there's not a lot of PR about it being a "mini season".

saltwater taffy:
It's the same story every year. At the stroke midnight on mini lobster season, boats and divers go out in the search of their limit of spiney lobster before the commercial fishermen have a go at it. If the tragedy of the 14 year old is related to the lobster season, isn't it time to take a very serious look at banning this insane practice. I doubt that this will ever happen......big bucks are made by the local economy during those two days.

SWT

SWT,

I feel sorry for the family that lost the father and son but think that diving falls into the "personal responsibility" category which was sorely lacking in this case.

I don't think someone else's poor judgement should have a negative impact on something that so many other people are able to safely participate in.

Rickg

DennisS:

FL is a little diff. I guess, lived there done that :) Wish I was back there, yada yada yada...

Why would anyone want to stop something because someone dies, people will die every day and this includes children. Imagine a world that banned anything that someone died doing, everyone would have nothing to do. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom