holding your breath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

durian

Reaction score
the number one rule in diving is to never hold your breath. My (stupid) question is: if you had to how long do you think you could hold it" I know once in held mine for 3 minutes in a swimming pool, but that was being completely motionless and relaxed.

Also, whenever I concentrate on something, like trying to thread a needle, I hold my breath. I have to be very conscious of this when diving.

durian:
the number one rule in diving is to never hold your breath. My (stupid) question is: if you had to how long do you think you could hold it" I know once in held mine for 3 minutes in a swimming pool, but that was being completely motionless and relaxed.

Also, whenever I concentrate on something, like trying to thread a needle, I hold my breath. I have to be very conscious of this when diving.
If your real serious about it, Until you pass out then you start breathing again:D

It depends where I am. At a Chili feed a real long time.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
If your real serious about it, Until you pass out then you start breathing again:D

One of my cousins actually did that when a friend of hers challenged her to a breath holding contest in high school. She passed out cold and whacked her head pretty well when she hit the floor. Talk about being a little too competitive! :eyebrow:

durian:

For Harry Houdini, while ice free-diving in handcuffs, long enough:

"Possibly Houdini’s most famous feat was his jump from the Belle Isle Bridge into the Detroit River. The story of this event has been retold, even within my family, countless times. My Great Grandfather, Alex Kalish, who I met once before his death, was one of the thousands of people who watched this event in person. As the story accounts, on November 27, 1906 Harry Houdini, after being locked into two sets of handcuffs, jumped off the bridge and into a hole that had been cut in the ice. He did not resurface.

Panic spread through the crowd. Houdini’s assistants knew that he couldn’t hold his breath for more than three and a half minutes. After about three minutes, they realized that the current had carried him downstream. The emergency plan was to have a roped man dive in after him. No one was eager to do this, so a rope was thrown into the hole. His wife, who had stayed at the hotel, was quickly informed, “Houdini drowned! Houdini drowned!”

Meanwhile, having freed himself, Houdini found that he could breath from air pockets that were trapped between the water and the ice. When he saw the rope, he grabbed it and climbed out of the hole. Cheers rang out from the crowd, and he was met by his wife, who was in tears."

Read in diver magazine this month the new world record is over 6 minutes.

I could do over 3 minutes when I was younger; I know I can still go over 2 minutes (once in a while when I'm on the surface I'll do it for practice) but don't know HOW long I could really do it....after a couple minutes it gets uncomfortable enough that I figure it's not worth the trouble to hold it any longer. If I was getting $1 per second or whatever, then I might try it again!

I meet the gal who has the current static record at 5:59. Whsh she would have held her breath a while while sharing the bench. What a loud mouth.

Back
Top Bottom