If you had $200 for safety equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mavjax

Reaction score
As my family all knows about my new involvement in this obession...sorry....sport. They chipped in for a nice gift card for my LDS. I'm thinking that some safety equipment would be a good purchase... so if you had $200 what would you get.

So far I'm thinkng about a sausage, an in-line lp horn/whistle and a safety mirror. What other suggestions???

Thanks

A rescue course.

After that, a liftbag and spool.
Storm whistle, the inline won't help you if you're out of air.

A good primary light and at least one backup light.

Did I mention a rescue course? :LIFSAVR:

From the LDS
*Safety Sausage with atleast 30 ft of string so you can float it during your safety stop.
*in-line horn
*underwater tool (knife or scissors - personal preference)
*Homemade save a dive kit (Somewhat safety - I have seen too many people enter the water with broken equipment just to get the last dive in)
*folding snorkel (I hate one on the side of my head, but I keep one in my pocket)
*spend the rest of the money on dives. Keeping current is a big step toward safety.

Better at Walmart or Camping store (cheaper)
*Signaling mirror
*whistle (In case you run out of air)

In my kit, I have:

100' finger spool
Carter Personal Float
Aquatec Scub Alert
Rescue Reflectors 3" x 5" buoyant signal mirror (although they make 2" x 3")
ACR FireFly 2 Strobe
Rescue Streamer Survivor II
Krill 180 Extreme Light
EMT Shears
DAN membership

Although I don't carry everything at once. If you want more info, you could PM me or Google any of the items listed. Hope this helps.

MaxBottomtime:
A rescue course.

After that, a liftbag and spool.
Storm whistle, the inline won't help you if you're out of air.

A good primary light and at least one backup light.

Agreed. Stress/Rescue course first. I also have a whistle on the manual inflator hose of each BC, a Pelican 3 C-cell light, a writing slate, and I have purchased a spool.

Good luck and happy shopping!

I agree with all of these recommendations. Especially, the Stress and Rescue however, no one has said anything about air. I personally recommend a pony bottle, I carry a 13cf pony on every dive w/or without a buddy and regardless of my intended depth and duration.
Just my 2 cents

mavjax:
As my family all knows about my new involvement in this obession...sorry....sport. They chipped in for a nice gift card for my LDS. I'm thinking that some safety equipment would be a good purchase... so if you had $200 what would you get.

So far I'm thinkng about a sausage, an in-line lp horn/whistle and a safety mirror. What other suggestions???

Thanks
Being new to diving I would suggest you invest in something that will benefit your diving. Whether it be in training or a piece of equipment get something that will do you some good and not something to sit around bragging about over a beer. Did you notice I placed training first? :wink:

Gary D.

Rule #1 about buying scuba gear:

Be extremely cautious about buying new gear. Any merchant will be very happy to sell you stuff regardless if you really need it or not.

I can imagine that this new movie, Open Water, is going to create a rush to buy all of the wonderful toys that the LDS has. But, rather than buy stuff that you may or may not use, use the money to dive more and get more uw experience. My only cavet is buy a good compass and learn to use it well.

Rely on your common sense, rather than some toy, to bail yourself out of a problem before it happens. If the current seems too strong or the dive seems above your abilities, then DON'T get into the water in the first place. Find people that you trust to dive with. Make it a habit, not an afterthought to practice OOA's with your buddies.

MaxBottomtime:
A rescue course.

100% agree with this. The most important safety device is the gray matter between your ears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom