Padi membership

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sleepyhead

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi
I'm getting my dm next week. So how does the membership goes?? I know about the fees for members are pretty much standard around the world. But how about the insurance as a DM? Is it cheaper to get it in Australia?? I know in canada, it might be more. Any ideas where to register for my membership and insurance?? Thanks

I know that in Europe it is just a small fraction of what we pay in the USA.

Maria

sleepyhead:
Hi
I'm getting my dm next week. So how does the membership goes?? I know about the fees for members are pretty much standard around the world. But how about the insurance as a DM? Is it cheaper to get it in Australia?? I know in canada, it might be more. Any ideas where to register for my membership and insurance?? Thanks

sleepyhead:
Hi

Register via the PADI office responsible for the region where you live and work. Insurance costs vary dramatically from one country to the other (for obvious reasons) and you just need to pay it. There's no way around it.

It's less of an administrative problem to arrange insurance via PADI but you have a couple of other options too. You may be able to get cheaper insurance via DAN or in some cases via more conventional channels.

R..

sleepyhead:
Hi

If you are working for a shop, make them pick up the cost of insurance, as you will probably be covered under their policy anyway.
If you're not actively engaged with a shop, or freelancing, you don't need insurance or membership and its a waste of money. I quit paying years ago.

MD

sleepyhead:
Hi

When you 'get' your DM, the certification is issued by PADI and the fee includes your first year dues. If it works differently in your region, don't worry - the instructor handling your certification will guide you in your paperwork, and when your DM certification application reaches PADI, they will see to it you are guided through the process of putting another dollar in (paying your dues.)
They will also send you information from their favored insurance vendor, and you should ask other PADI members in your area if they know of a better deal.

You don't need to worry about these issues - if it involves money going to them, PADI will make sure it's taken care of.

Oh, and about the shop paying your insurance - bad idea - typically, when you do that, the policy only covers you when you are working for them, and you're up against a single aggregate limit for the entire staff. Any decent shop will tell you upfront whether they can offer you enough work to cover your insurance costs.

dweeb:
Oh, and about the shop paying your insurance - bad idea - typically, when you do that, the policy only covers you when you are working for them, and you're up against a single aggregate limit for the entire staff. Any decent shop will tell you upfront whether they can offer you enough work to cover your insurance costs.

Thanks for the advice. Any ideas how to make myself more marketable to LDS? Part time job..

CanadianDiverGirl:
Just an idea, but you may want to consider also becoming a EFR Instructor.

Yup
I will do my EFR inst in Sept. Already booked that and studying away..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom