Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diving licences are nothing

mad
    Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos

Diving licences are nothing

In Italy there are no national rules or laws giving a value to our licences. We have only local laws in some areas but I wonder if it's right. Nevertheless limits in these areas are different for different levels, of course.
    The problem is that if the police ask your licence you're not probably supposed to have nor expecially to show your computer, they can only officially ask your documents.
    These are different interpretation of things.

In your counties is it different? maybe with common law, different from our civil law system you don't need a national law, do you?

Ciao

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1000+
    Photos
    The police have no right to ask to see our "papers" here in the states, although many of them try. They forget that this country is a "free republic" and not a totallitarian police state. As far as dive cards, it is not governed by any state or federal entity.
    Many people in the USA think we live in a Democracy and not a Republic, shame on them!!
    "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called scientific research." --Albert Einstein

mad
    Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    sorry, I didn't mean to enter a political feeling but I think it's the same permissions policemen have in Italy...

Defender!

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    There are people in Florida that want to start a diver license program. If it passes police will be able to stop you and check your license to insure you are legal.

RDP
    Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999

Question

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS
    There are people in Florida that want to start a diver license program. If it passes police will be able to stop you and check your license to insure you are legal.
    When I was in Florida the LDS held my card until I returned my rental tank.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Somewhere in the waters of Lake Ontario or the St Lawrence
    Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Québec has implemented something like that. If you're caught diving in Québec you need to have a provincially-issued card now. Of course, any legal program is only as good as its enforcement.........
    FreeFloat
    Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Caves, NSS caves, Int'l caves, Toronto caves and wet caves
    One of these days, I'll be certified for the wet caves as well as the dry ones...

Defender!

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    They intend to use funds generated by the license for marine enforcement.

Pay your money to the state so they can bother you on the ocean.

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,000 - 2,999
    what form of marine enforcement? dont get me wrong I hate taxes and hate paying them but I accept there are very often good reasons. In the uk for freshwater fishing you have to have a rod licence which is for a minimal amount, something like £12 per year - this money is then invested in conversation work, pollution monitoring and control, water bailiffs to monitor this resource, etc - none of these are bad reasons.

Is the only reason for them insisting on a licence for them to fund 'marine enforcement' what do they mean by this? Are there any other uses intended for any funds derived from the licence such as conservation?
    cant believe Im getting married!!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by mad
    In your counties is it different? maybe with common law, different from our civil law system you don't need a national law, do you?
    Ciao
    In the U.S., the legal hierarchy is something like this:

1. Treaties and Conventions (law controlling U.S. vis-a-vis other nations
    2. Federal Law (national law controlling its citizens and residents)
    3. State law (law of each state)
    4. County law (law of counties within each state)
    5. Municipal law (law of cities within each county)

Those laws are divided into civil, criminal and quasi-criminal (ordinances and the like) matters.

Our civil law is divided into statutory law and common law (judge-made).

Our diving certifications are observed on sort of a common law basis, which means that the possession, or lack thereof, would likely only be relevant in a civil case to whether a defendant was acting prudently. For example if a dive shop filled tanks or a dive charter took on divers without checking C-cards and then someone got hurt, the failure to check the C-card would be used as an act of negligence to bring the shop/charter into the line of causation.

Governmental bodies make laws under their "police powers" which exist to protect the public's health and welfare. They are reluctant to (and constitutionally prohibited from) make statutory law without a significant public health interest.

For example if one person decides to tie helium balloons to a lawn chair in an attempt to fly (I did not make this up) and kills himself, it is unlikely the legislature would convene to draft a law against it. But if there was a trend and a good part of the public starting forming helium lawn chair flying clubs, resulting in death, injuries (increased insurance claims and hospital bills, reduction in the work force, and other social ills) then the government would likely act in the public interest, by either prohibiting or regulating the practice.

Failing governmental action, risky activities are usually controlled by Darwin's theory (survival of the fittest and smartest) and by (you all are going to love this one) personal injury lawyers, whose cases establish common law standards of negligence and thus dictate standards of care.

I would think that most divers, and related dive business prefer self policing as opposed to governmental regulation.

But that's just my .02 psi.

Theresa azzler1:

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
    Go Red - Support SB!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    They intend to use funds generated by the license for marine enforcement.

Pay your money to the state so they can bother you on the ocean.
    Why dont boat owners have to have a license, or do they already have them, but it means nothing except they paid the fee, learned nothing and run over any kind of flag/buoy/person in the water that they see (or rather dont see) fit?
    Simon
    Always up for a dive, your Orlando/Central Florida dive buddy.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast