U.S. Navy, 78-82

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracker

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm looking for information about a scuba class I took when I was on WestPac cruise 80-81. I got my cert. while in the Philippines from an organization through the Navy called sea/us. It was a NAUI card. I lost it and all documentation. Looking for a replacement. NAUI has no record and talking to a dive shop owner in the Philippines, he told me that NAUI didn't start training until 1982. Any one with information on this would be greatly appreciated.

tracker:
I'm looking for information about a scuba class I took when I was on WestPac cruise 80-81. I got my cert. while in the Philippines from an organization through the Navy called sea/us. It was a NAUI card. I lost it and all documentation. Looking for a replacement. NAUI has no record and talking to a dive shop owner in the Philippines, he told me that NAUI didn't start training until 1982. Any one with information on this would be greatly appreciated.
Having delt with the Philippines in the past, my recomendation would be just take another class. A lot simpler.

He's not quite right on the date. I got a NAUI certification in 1962 which I think is around 20 years earlier.

Gary D.

Are you really that worried about it?
Unless it's for sentimental reasons of course.
A card from 1981 isn't really worth the paper (or plastic?) it's printed on.
Standards have changed quite a lot and if that was the only course you ever did, it's worth doing another.

Ok, you could try and contact the Dept. of the Navy, and get ahold of who ever is taking care of the certs now. Odds are they still have the records.

But...

I really would recommednd retraining if it's been more than a few years since you last dove.

What?

bubble blower:

What these guys had to do 20+ years ago was a different kettle of fish from what I have read. OUR current certs would likely be considered worthless compared to what they had to do. Take you down to 10,000', make you take your gear off, rip your mask off, kick you in the nuts, spin you around 10 times, then have you solve all the problems. I'm *slightly* exaggerating :wink: and this is only from what I have read from those who were certified long ago.

--Matt

Well, Matt's description was a slight exhageration. When I took my NAUI basic/PADI open water course in 1978, the academics side is what is now taught in the NAUI Master Scuba Diver course.
From talking to a couple of the old-timers who took the first NAUI Instructor Course in 1960, they were taken into the Gulf of Mexico to a spot in 40 feet of water. Their gear was thrown over the side and put on the bottom. They had one hour to come up with everything in place.

carlislere:
Well, Matt's description was a slight exhageration. When I took my NAUI basic/PADI open water course in 1978, the academics side is what is now taught in the NAUI Master Scuba Diver course.
From talking to a couple of the old-timers who took the first NAUI Instructor Course in 1960, they were taken into the Gulf of Mexico to a spot in 40 feet of water. Their gear was thrown over the side and put on the bottom. They had one hour to come up with everything in place.

Scary the difference in required skills eh?

--Matt

miketsp:
Are you really that worried about it?
Unless it's for sentimental reasons of course.
Standards have changed quite a lot and if that was the only course you ever did, it's worth doing another.

This is so much bull you would need dive gear to get through it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom