Entering the water when shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaguy62

Son of Yemaya
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I can't recall where it was I read that there are times when shore diving, when entering the water with fins on is proper...I seem to recall it is when the surf is a bit high. Well, tried it once when the surf was about 2' (with an occassional rouge 3 footer) at the shore line (I believe my buddy Grier has named this venture as "doing the maytag"), and even when entering on a nice lull, my wife and I got tossed about. So from that day on, we enter fins off until waist deep and put our fins on at that time.

I'm curious who of you shore diving gurus out there knows when it is proper to enter the water with fins on, if there is such a time.

Thanks!

The only time I wear fins on a shore entry is when I can jump directly into deep water. Otherwise I wade in finless and put 'em on in the surf.
Rick

Scubaguy62:
I can't recall where it was I read that there are times when shore diving, when entering the water with fins on is proper...I seem to recall it is when the surf is a bit high. Well, tried it once when the surf was about 2' (with an occassional rouge 3 footer) at the shore line (I believe my buddy Grier has named this venture as "doing the maytag"), and even when entering on a nice lull, my wife and I got tossed about. So from that day on, we enter fins off until waist deep and put our fins on at that time.

I'm curious who of you shore diving gurus out there knows when it is proper to enter the water with fins on, if there is such a time.

Thanks!

Back in with fins on to about thigh deep, turn, go to the bottom and swim out. It's hard to put fins on in a strong surge. If the waves are bigger than three feet, look for the rip tide and let it take you out.

Hank49:
Back in with fins on to about thigh deep, turn, go to the bottom and swim out. It's hard to put fins on in a strong surge. If the waves are bigger than three feet, look for the rip tide and let it take you out.
It's not as easy, but I found it to be a lot tougher to try and get up in knee deep water with all the gear on. Higher than 3 feet surf I call the dive.

Here's an article to get you started. http://www.scubadiving.com/travel/western_usa/a_day_at_the_beach/

I make my decision based on the conditions and location. Whenever possible, I prefer to enter without fins and put them on waist deep water. I feel more secure walking like a human than a duck. I replaced my rubber fin straps with springs and this made getting my fins on in the water way easier.

Practice with/without fins so you are comfortable and familar with both methods. Then you'll be able to choose whats best for you.

Roland

Scubaguy62:
It's not as easy, but I found it to be a lot tougher to try and get up in knee deep water with all the gear on. Higher than 3 feet surf I call the dive.

Three feet is a big wave if it's measured from the back. In shorebreak conditions a three foot swell will produce a six foot face. If you're in three feet of water you're looking up at a very large mass of water.
I don't feel comfortable at all in the sea without fins. When a wave is about to break on your head, even if there is only about a foot of water where you stand, get under it, kick hard and it will push you right out the back. These are body surfing techniques that work in 6-8 foot waves.

I've seen an argument for - and tried - swimming out with fins in hands until past the surf line. For example, at Monastery beach in Monterey, CA., you have a very close, short and violent shore break (sometimes called Mortuary Beach 'cause people have died in the surf there). You time the breakers, and between them, with BC inflated, swim back-wards using the fins on your hands for propulsion. I tried it and it works great. Only down side is if you lose a fin, or have a problem you could end up with NO means of propulsion. This is not my first choice on surf entry, but I've seen it, tried it, and so I thought I'd toss it into the mix.

Reg in mouth, fins in hand (spring straps rule), BC half full. Wade in until the bc starts floats you. Breathe easy and slip on your fins.

Pay no attention to Jenny. She makes it look way too natural.

Now...coming out is another story. It helps to have beautiful maiden like Krista pull you out.

Thanks KBECK!!!!

Sage, you're just too kind, and you're also correct...spring straps do rule (only if I could convince scbababe of that!!!)

Hank49 I'll keep that in mind; thanks for the tip!

I've gone diving in surf as big as 5 feet (not too fun) - I always wade in with my BC inflated, timing it between sets. Once I get around waist deep, I float back on my BC while I put on my fins. It helps that my BC is a back inflate, but I've also done it in a jacket style.

I try not to put on my fins too close to shore, because I just get tossed around by the surge. Around waist deep - even if a larger wave comes in, I'm able to either ride above it or duck under it as it comes in.

Back
Top Bottom