Question for the DM's and Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
The Diving Mecca of Dorthy & Toto....Kansas
Odd thing happened this evening to my husband, a newly certified DM and I want to see if any of you had encountered this.

He went to a LDS in the area because the training director there had approached him at a local dive gathering hearing that he was recently certified as a DM about assisting at their shop. We are good friends with another DM who already is affiliated with the shop and she recommended my husband as an addition to their staff.

Well during the "interview" he was questioned about what gear he currently dives with. He responded that he has a MK20/G250 Scubapro Reg and Quickdraw Seaquest BCD. The training director advised that if he wanted to work through that shop that he would have to purchase all new gear because they only allow professional staff that dive the gear they sell.

He told the guy that he was really happy with his stuff and since it is less than two years old, he didn't see purchasing all new gear to dive with their shop since he is already affiliated with another shop that does sell that gear.

Just wondered if this is standard practise? Has anyone else encountered?

Thanks,
:bunny: KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

KC_Scubabunny,
That's a very good question to bring up. You have to put yourself in the shoes of the shop owner.

His goal in life is to sell dive equipment. A dive shop makes very little if any money teaching scuba classes. Some shops actually lose money teaching scuba classes, but that is a whole different thread. A lot of entry level/Adv OW/Rescue (you get the idea) divers watch the divemasters and instructors and see what they use. They talk to the divemasters and instructors during the course about equipment and what to buy.

If an instructor or divemaster is using equipment that is not sold at they shop they are working, then the customer may go find it where ever that may be. The dive shop loses sales because of that.

My favorite reg is my Scubapro G500 and Scubapro stab jacket. I have taught for several shops over the years that sell Scubapro, so that was the equipment I have owned. I now teach for a shop that does not sell Scubapro. I have over time bought new mask/snorkel, BC and reg to use with classes at that shop. I taught a divemaster course last year where every candidate asked me about equipment and before the halfway point of the course they were all wearing similar equipment to mine. It's amazing!

Hope this helps.

Ron

Ron explained why shops do this very well. The shops I have worked for offer DM's and Instructors gear at a discount in order to help us afford new gear.

We are in the position now of finding a new shop to DM out of. Of the ones we have talked to that don't carry our brand of gear, one has offered us the use of rental gear while working with their classes. This is really a good idea because frequent usage in a chlorinated pool will bleach and ruin your gear in a very short time. If we decide to purchase new gear, we have been offered the choice of paying it out over time. This is a nice alternative since we would need 2 sets of gear.

The other shop only requested that we explain why our gear was different and encourage the students to buy the stores authorized brand.

But I do understand why.

When an LDS pays me for assisting, OR furnishes equipment, then I will be happy to oblige. If I am doing my typical, work your butt off for nothing but an airfill - then, so sorry, I dont think they want any help - just another sale.

Could be wrong -
Could care less if I am -

Dave:eek:ut:

Heather,

That is pretty much standard operating procedure around here. The shop that I work at is at an advantage, since few other shops sell the quality gear that we do :) , and that you dive with. Seriously though, there is an instructor in the city who is sending his students our way to buy the equipment that we sell, and no shop should allow that to happen. That is why we are in the business of requireing our staff to wear what we sell. Many of the instructors you have had started with other stuff, but then when they came to work for us they were "encouraged" to convert to Scubapro/Aqualung. We do it through offering new instructors gear at keyman, and allowing them to work off their new equipment. We tend to be a little more flexible than it sounds like they are being.

R.C.

If you are working as a volunteer, it would be reasonable for the shop to loan the gear to you for classes.

I can understand the LDS's interst in the staff using the gear they sell.

A related question though, the money can't be anywhere near descent, but what is pretty normal for staff compensation? price breaks, air fills, DM insurance paid....?

for that very reason. They gave me "store cost" and they even offered to lend me the gear first. I HATE RENTAL CRAP!!! They have been more than fair, and I am getting certified in some areas for just the cost of the c-card. THey are allowing my to keep my SP TwinJets with my AWESOME adjustable spring straps. Hey, they can't buy those anywhere, so they're safe!!!

for your posts. I guess this was more widespread than I thought.

My husband would not be "paid" for DMing with this shop. He would get free air fills, free lodging on their houseboat while diving with a class but nothing that would come near offsetting the cost of the additional gear.

An interesting point that I got out of this is that someone like myself who is religious about researching gear and finding our your opinions before purchasing it would have trouble affiliating with a shop if I ever did decide to follow him into being a dive master. My gear has come from 5 shops that I can think of right now and I am a hodge podge of brands.

I guess that's what we would have called in college a GDI (Gosh Darn Independent) or something like that! Well maybe that is a new acronym for the scubaboard. Somebody who buys the best gear that fits and is not shop or brand loyal is a GDI.

Thanks again for all the posts,
:bunny: KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom