What's the purpose of your diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just wondering why you dive. Is it bottle collecting? Hunting? Photography? Sightseeing?

Are these activities an add on to land based hobbies or professions that you have?

Fun! That is the purpose of my diving. I don't care if it is playing follow the leader in the springs in Florida, diving a sunken fuel barge in the Gulf, or being a couple of thousand feet back in a cave (my goal). I just want to have fun. I don't care about collecting artifacts or anything like that.

I dive because it is fun and that it has been something I have always wanted to do. I would like to work towards professonal, but just to help our President/Instructor with his classes. Other then that .. I haven't found anything worthwild to speak of, so I really don't dive just to look for treasures.

Fun, different, exploration, lots of stuff to do and learn, ability to see beutiful things with my own eyes that most only see on TV/movies, comraderie, being part of a unique group of people.

I dive to have fun, see a whole new world of things, and meet new friends.
I'm very careful about not diving to show off and do things I'm not comfortable doing. If I don't feel like diving, when everyone else is, I'm not afraid to stay behind.
I always tell people to not feel pressured to do anything they are not 100% comfortable doing, just because other divers are doing it.
It's all for fun in my eyes, and I hope to be doing this for the rest of my life!

:gorgeous:

I just love being underwater....
Even if it is just a puddle....
But I do like the ocean best....

I love breathing underwater and exploring but my favorites are octopus and wolf eels because they have so much personality....

Things that have killed the fun for me in the past were competitive spearfishing (biggest/best/most).... and public safety diving.

I have a former bud right now who is going through the later....
He was assigned to PD harbor patrol and now he never has fun diving anymore.... we did get him out last November and he had fun but that was the last time.

First, It was something I always wanted to do, even as a little boy. Once I became a diver I found that I loved diving. I find it very relaxing, I enjoy exploring this new found world. Seeing the divercity of this underwater realm. and yes the aspect of the potential danger also is stimulating. Humans are born explorers, and underwater is the last great wilderness. Cause I don't think there well be many of us able to or be chosen to explore space.

Most of my diving is teaching or diving with customers without teaching. I find I enjoy dives with a purpose. I have come to a point where I need some time to dive for myself. My solution is to do something I have always wanted to do LEARN CAVE DIVING. My wife and I start our training next week. No matter how long or how much cave diving I do or how good I get my intention is to never ever teach it. This is for us period.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom