Frog Kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas

Contributor
Reaction score
Just had a quick question to those of you that have been using/practicing the 'frog kick' for a while now. How do you modify the kick, so that it stays true to it's nature if you have a bad knee? I have been trying to practice and perfect the kick but I cannot manage to do so since one of my knees isn't up to par (had a little rugby accident a while back). Thus it makes it very difficult to get both of my legs to perform the kick, I manage with one while the other one lags behind and starts to hurt, due to the somewhat forced position and range of motion.

Any ideas and suggestions?

Aqua Ho:
Just had a quick question to those of you that have been using/practicing the 'frog kick' for a while now. How do you modify the kick, so that it stays true to it's nature if you have a bad knee? I have been trying to practice and perfect the kick but I cannot manage to do so since one of my knees isn't up to par (had a little rugby accident a while back). Thus it makes it very difficult to get both of my legs to perform the kick, I manage with one while the other one lags behind and starts to hurt, due to the somewhat forced position and range of motion.

Try to use proper technique in executing the kick and do so gently and slowly. There is really no need to put a lot of force into a frog kick unless you have to work a gainst a current. Just move slowly and gently. Glide as long as possible before executing another kick cyle. Also maybe you should give yourself a little bit more time to heal.

You may also want to use this time to work on the modified flutter kick and also the modified frog kick which uses much less leg action.

Aqua Ho:
Thanks, any good places on-line that has a good demonstration, perhaps even a video of these methods?

Try doing a search here on scubaboard for Fifth D. Also look around in the DIR section fo threads that talk about finning techniques. I think there are some links there.

Best regards

jbd

You might also want to try a modified frog kick. This may also bother your knee, but the emphasis is on the ankles. This is where your knees stay bent, but you use your ankles for to bring your fins together. Not a power kick, but for cruising along it works pretty well.

Yeah, that pretty much immobilizes the knees, but it can be real hard on your ankles if you have weak ones. It took a while for my ankle muscles to get accustomed to using this kick (It's useful in tight spots).

Aqua Ho:

jbd had a good suggestion about going slow. Also you might try looking at the videos on fifthd of the modified frog kick and then modify that a bit more with more ankle movement. No guarantees. You'll have to experiment with it.

R..

Aqua Ho:

I frog kick all the time, Had a knee injury three years ago I spent a lot of time in the pool with my fins on swimming laps help the knee better than the pt the doc sent me to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom