Hookah diving could it be a solution?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have a small lake near my house. Close enough that I could dive nearly daily. The viz is poor and there's nothing special to see however it is water and I can think of things to do UW in low viz. My problem is air supply. Nearest dive shops are a 50 mile drive one way. I do have 2 tanks but if I use them during the week then it does become a bit of a chore to get them refilled for diving at the nearest quarry(over 100 miles one way). It just occurred to me that possibly a hookah system would be a good idea.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Pro or con?

At Divers Direct Brownie Hooka Systems are between 2500 and 4500 dollars. I am sure some are cheaper but wouldn't you be able to get a small compressor to fill your own tanks for that amount.

Just a thought.

Chad

your absolutly right ckharlan66, buy yourself a nice compressor with that $.

Whats the depth in there?

Andy

If you are handy with tools you can build your own hooka rig for much less than buying one.

How easy and cheap depends on the available power.
I have a hooka rig that I use for working in marinas, it plugs into 115VAC.

If there is no AC available you need to either use an engine driven unit or one that runs off a battery.

By choosing the right compressor you can use a standard scuba second stage saving a little money over a hooka second. The hooka second uses a much lower IP (about 40 psi) so they are a special item.

Still, you might want to look around for a good portable compressor to fill your tanks. Heck, you could even get a compressor for your home and just carry the tanks to the lake. Then you could use an AC compressor. Lots of them available.

michael

I didn't realize that the hookah units were that pricey. For that much I would just buy a compressor.

Why don't you just buy a couple more tanks. It will cost less than a compressor or a hookah.

For the cost of a couple of net tanks and a bit of scrounging and labor you can build your own hooka rig.

First, get one of those portable air compressors for painting. You want an oilless compressor and an output of 2 cfm at 125 psi. Be sure that it has a tank as a surge tank is required.

Next, get a scuba second stage and a long hose.
You can use PVC hose as long as it doesn't get too hot. If the hose will never be used at a temperature over 90 degrees F PVC is ok. Better hose is food grade hose similar to what you see in the back of a soda fountain. Use a hose longer than the depth you want to go by an amount that will give you the needed horizontal range.

Now, setup a weight belt to make yourself just neutral at the depth you will be enjoying most.
On this weight belt add a D ring.

Take a double ended snap and attach the second stage hose to the weight belt. This way if you drop the reg out of your mouth you can find it again easily.

Now you have a system that works where there is electricity. What about out in the sticks?
Buy a small generator, be sure it is big enough to start the compressor. The starting current on these things can be 2 to 3 times the rated running current. Take along an extension cord so the generator can be a good distance downwind of the compressor.

I can buy everything in this system new for less than $1000. With a little shopping I can often get the total down to something like $500 or less.

As a plus you now also have a generator and a usefull (just) air compressor.

The people building these things for sale have to charge more to cover insurance and the added cost of making it fancy and pretty enough for people to buy.

michael

Most all of my diving is done with surface air. Ya just can't beat it for a lot of situations.

Compressor heads and other hookah components can be had fairly reasonable at: http://www.keeneeng.com/
They also have a DIY instruction set.

The regs used are not the run of the mill scuba regs, the hookah regs will function between 35psi and 125psi

Oh yah, beware of clear supply hose, the commercial bug divers in the Bahamas were getting a lung fungus from it.

Mike--that probably what I'll do, buy a couple more tanks.

Although after reading pipedopes message I may see if my younger brother is still using his hookah rig anymore. It was rigged up very similar to what pipedope described.

Bob3--thanks for the info. What was it about the clear hose that was a problem? Was there moisture build up that allowed the fungus to grow?

Back
Top Bottom